1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Having problems with a GROOVE Crane who doesn't want to swing.

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by PetervaldezMech, Mar 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. PetervaldezMech

PetervaldezMech Member

HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
    The model is a Grove RT865BXL
    Correct some electrical issues and the swing come back but after a few days of working she stopped swinging again
    I really need the hydraulic and electrical schematics so I can see better what's the situation with this, I see that the swing it's pilot operated so might be on this the problem. All is very welcome.

2. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

For me, its usually the solenoid on the swing brake that gets bad. The swing brake is spring applied with hydraulic release.

When the solenoid gets weak, it removes the hydraulic pressure, allowing the spring brake to come on. The solenoid is usually on the uprights in the center of the turrent area. It will have a hyd. line that runs to the swing brake pack. Its powered by the switch in the cab that applies and releases the swing brake. Sometimes that's on the dash, sometimes that switch is on the armrest.

Usually when the coils get bad, they are super hot to the touch. The coil is energized all the time when the crane is swinging, without it working right, the swing brake stays on. Sometimes the pressure setting of the relief valve can be off, but usually its the coil.

3. PetervaldezMech

PetervaldezMech Member

HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
    Yeah when I apply the swing lever either way it sounds like it's working but not moving at all, now it makes a lot o sense, since I think about it, if the brake is applied won't move at all. So I need to find swing brake solenoid and see what's going on.

Thank you for the info.

DMiller likes this.
  4. PetervaldezMech

PetervaldezMech Member

HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
    Hey I'm here by the crane right now and I've changed the bad solenoids, and still doesn't swing, it might be another thing than the brake solenoid??

5. PetervaldezMech

PetervaldezMech Member

HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
    I'm really frustrated, waiting on parts and that's doesn't fix the problem

6. PetervaldezMech

PetervaldezMech Member

HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
    Where is exactly located the swing brake??

7. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

#1 is the swing motor
    #2 is the swing brake
    #3 is the swing gearbox

If the seals are shot in the swing brake piston, it will not allow the piston to build enough pressure to release the swing brake.

The fluid chamber on the swing brake pack has a bleeder screw and must be bled if any hoses have been replaced, or air entered the system.

There should be pressure test ports for the swing brake.

grove 865 (2)_LI.jpg

pushbroom likes this.
  8. PetervaldezMech

PetervaldezMech Member

HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
    Thanks again, there was a valve inside the boom, that controls the swing brake. The coil was burnt, as soon as I changed, the swing brake released. Thank you.