• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Have snap binders been outlawed?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Rolled through the I-81 south scales at Greeneville TN with the lowboy last Friday. 15,000 lb Nissan forklift, Bobcat T190 with forks, wood cribbing blocks, combination of several chains, ratchet binders, and snap binders in full view, they gave us the green light. :)

ValleyFirewood

The snap binders we had at work, we weren't allowed to use a pipe.
The thought being that they were not designed to be levered on. Same reason we couldn't use a pipe on a breaker bar.

wilko

I use a cheater that's open on one side so it can't take your head off, and I really don't pull them that tight anymore anyway.
Last week I was coming out of the pit and there were two snap chains and a binder laying in the road, the binder had the last four inches of the handle broken off (?????), but otherwise looked fine. Is it legal to use?

Oxbow

I prefer using the over-center binders where I have room unless the load is rubber mounted. for loaders and such that seem to always loosen a touch after initial securement I prefer to use the ratchet binders because it is quicker to snug them down a bit more.

I too hate when the chain twists on ratchet binders and usually spray with PB blaster or some such thing. The problem here in the winter is with the use of Calcium Chloride on the roads the threads will rust up very quickly, making the over center binders preferable.