1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Have snap binders been outlawed?

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by T Red, Apr 7, 2009.

1. oversize

oversize Well-Known Member

low loader driver
    They want you to use ratchet binders, As they are worried about some one get hit by snap type binder, so you need to have ratchet binders on your truck, I don't recoil less ones are OK I think it wood depend on the person on the gate

2. insleyboy

insleyboy Well-Known Member

Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
    I'm sure some plants are cracking down on the traditional binders for sure. I had one graze my eye, as I mentioned and saw a fellow worker lose his eye due to not using the cheater pipe properly. They work fine, if you use them right. If you are careless, (as I was when I was young), or without fear ( as the guy I saw get hit), then yer in trouble. From my experience I will say, use them alone! As soon as someone says they are gonna help you, thats when someone gets hurt! Be smart and be safe. And for God's sake don't let the pipe slip off near the face.

3. stumpjumper83

stumpjumper83 Senior Member

Movin dirt
    Well I just got in from tying down my deere m for transport in the morning and the trailer that I borrowed had all ratchet binders in the neck. Its a little 12k deckover btw.

Anyhow, there is nothing I hate more than sicky threads on ratchet binder wanting to twist my chains up, or when the little dog doesn't want to flip over. And they take so much longer to tighten.

Just give me a set of standard over the center binders and I'll be along my way, they might be "more dangerous", but you have to be smarter than the binder.

4. JonesBros

JonesBros Well-Known Member

Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
    We used to use as we call them "dogs" and the good ol 2-3' long pipe. We stopped using them at least 10 years ago now. Luckily nobody has gotten hurt in those previous years. But we have had a couple of pipes go flying off.

With ratchet binders I have noticed that they don't twist up the chains when they're seasoned or used. Heck i havn't had a problem with them twisting the chains in almost 3 years myself i'd say, but damn its frustrating when they do. The majority of problem we have is the roll pin will slip out and catch on the lever while trying to ratchet it. Thats just fixed by a simple push.

5. special tool

special tool Senior Member

A little oil on a ratchet binder once a week and it will never twist a chain or have a stuck dog.

6. insleyboy

insleyboy Well-Known Member

Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
    Is it not true, that a bit of maintanance goes the distance!

7. wormkiller

wormkiller Well-Known Member

IUOE Local 150
    Sometimes oil wont help the cheap binders, a pry bar held through the ring at one end of the ratchet types solves any chain twist problems for me.:pointhead

8. komatpillar

komatpillar Member

I prefer snap binders but not the usual kind. It must be used with safety precautions.

9. bigbob

bigbob Well-Known Member

I stopped using snap binders a few years ago when I heard the NH DOT frowned on their use. Now use ratchet binders and put Fluid Film on the threads and ratchets.

10. mikef87

mikef87 Senior Member

owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
    Nice quote

11. Jammar7

Jammar7 Member

Nope, not illegal. Although I'm surprised OSHA hasn't tried. Both are good (when used properly) and both have their purposes. We carry (and use) both, depending on the load.

12. theother7axle

theother7axle New Member

i like both.but,trying to use a snap binder under a 637 on a scraper jeep can be pretty hard to do.(space issues)1/2inch ratchets work well in tight spaces.binder maint. is key! most scrapers lubricate your binders for you! for flat bed work snap binders are great!i have been told CAT makes an excellent "dry film lube" in a spray can,that is excellent for binders!

13. Classic79KW

Classic79KW Member

Gear Grinder
    10-4 on the leaky belly pans, when I used to haul the big stuff & needed lube just run your finger inside a belly pan & there it is! lol The CAT dry lube is ok, WD40 or liquid wrench works better IMO.

Ron G., the light on the headband trick works ok, I use a mini maglite & when I tie down I chew it like a cigar & it always shines where our head goes. :D

14. tripper_174

tripper_174 Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
    Some of the northern mine sites won't allow them on site, lord knows why!

15. Oldiron

Oldiron Well-Known Member

I know this thread is kind of old but here in the GWNW the national saftey council load securement rules mandate a positive locking method for overcenter binders. the new ones come with a u shaped clip with a pin to hold them in locked position. there are handles built for releasing them that don't transmit the unlock force . IE one side is half open. A pipe with a slot cut in the side works well too.:Banghead

16. Arabhacks

Arabhacks Banned

Underemplyed Operator
    Lights.

Hello.

When this is on special it is something like $3.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45807
    To mount it on your hardhat take the center strap off.
    I use a glue velcro bit on front and the light.
    For the sides I use a zip wiretie on each side.
    I also mount a AA maglite on one side with the same zip tie.

17. Corona Kid

Corona Kid Member

Take Em apart and throw Em in a bucket of Diesel now & then:D

18. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

I like each kind for different situations

with the snap over binders I usually put the pipe or bar under the handle and pry up to release it.

19. tjcoogan

tjcoogan Member

I've moved away from snap binders and have been using, with great success and safety for that matter, a binder combining the old style dog and ratchet tie down in one. Here is a link to check out. Not sure if they are available overseas though.

20. powerjoke

powerjoke Senior Member

owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
    Old thread, has any new laws came to light since it was started?

I was under the impression that MO does not consider a tiedown unless it has mechanical locking mechanism such as a screw........ The way i understand it is you cannot throw a chain on the rear and pull machine forward to tighten or use a break over binder. The part I am unclear on is can we not use them at all or are they acceptable if they have a mechanical locking mechanism

Pj