• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Have snap binders been outlawed?

T Red

I keep hearing people say you cannot use snap binders anymore. I believe it is all gossip. No one has been able to show me otherwise. I don't doubt someone has gotten a ticket for something similar and the truth has been lost as information has passed from person to person.

I just want the truth in writing. I have searched the DOT website and found nothing about what type of binder you must use.

Iron Horse

I hope not , i hate those ratchet binders , when they get a little rusty and stiff or some tree sap gets on them they would rather wind the chain up than turn on their threads .

bill onthehill

I have good luck using anti-seeze on the threads. I hate when they twist the chains. As I got older I got away from snap binders. They are much quicker but make you hurt to get them tight.

T Red

I have good luck using anti-seeze on the threads. I hate when they twist the chains. As I got older I got away from snap binders. They are much quicker but make you hurt to get them tight.

I'm going to try that. I use ratchets most of the time but still use the snap binder too.

Thanks for the replies.

Noose

Occupation
O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
Certain jobs up here have banned them as with rubber bungee straps. Keeping the dummies safe!

Hendrik

We always put a piece of pipe over the handle to tighten snap binders, plus a bit of wire around the handle to stop them coming undone.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Snap binders can work well when done safely for sure. I am sure somewhere down the road they will get closely scrutinized, but as of now I have not heard of any ban. The longer the cheater pipe the better the bind but the more the danger for sure! I have a scar just above my eye to attest to thier danger.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
I hope not , i hate those ratchet binders , when they get a little rusty and stiff or some tree sap gets on them they would rather wind the chain up than turn on their threads .

i like the ratchet binders, some WD 40 keeps the threads working. pirtek sell a similar product with lanolin in it , works good on the threads and lasts a long time.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have found that the most risky maneuver with the over center binders is removing them.Sometimes your load can shift a little and tighten them up so much that your cheater bar will go flying and hopefully noone is within range to get hit or you don't damage something else in the process.Your chin is in the line of fire too if you are not careful.I use them whenever I can.
I have a few pet peeves with the ratchet binders as I have said before here or elswhere,you need to create good habits if you use them.
Some people reverse the ratchet before they store them so that they are ready for the next use and some don't.I do not.Sometimes when you store them they get thrown into the gooseneck and that can reverse the ratchet accidentally.
Where this becomes a big problem for me is moving equipment in the dark with no hookup lights.There is nothing more frustrating than using a ratchet binder in the dark and thinking that you are tightening when in fact it falls apart in your hand.
Yes,you can go inspect it in the headlights of the tractor beforehand but the tractor is quite a ways away if you have a detachable lowbed and that gets old real fast.
You need both hands to work so a flashlight is a hassle and just something else to look after and forget.The solution here is snap over binders.They are cleaner and simpler to use and most likely cheaper as well.Ron G

Hendrik

You need both hands to work so a flashlight is a hassle and just something else to look after and forget.The solution here is snap over binders.They are cleaner and simpler to use and most likely cheaper as well.Ron G
Perhaps you need to get yourself some of them flashlights you stick on your head.
I have tried the old flashlight in the mouth trick but that is very uncomfortable.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Go to a sporting goods store--even Walmart,K-mart sells head-lites,get a LED one and the batteries will seem to last forever.And my lube of choice is the red grease in an aerosol can for the ratcheting binders--will outlast and outlube regular grease or PB Blaster hands down.I still use an old snap binder in certain conditions--very useful,you just have to be careful.

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver

Ok iron horse and pete here is what i know on snap binders or chain dog they a not banned for use on the roads but when you haul into some sites eg mines and quarry if you need to under go a safety check 1st they will make you remove them and leve them at the gate as they have it in they safety policy that a they are not to be used on site, I have heard a story form one of the other drivers he had one holding down his block and rubber mating and he was made to undo it and leave it at the gate even when he wood not have had to undo it to unload

I find ratchet binders can be pain when it is wet as the ratchet seems to slip instead of undoing or doing up but if you keep the wd40 up to them it is not problem they just don,t last as long as the snap type ones

Iron Horse

Ok iron horse and pete here is what i know on snap binders or chain dog they a not banned for use on the roads but when you haul into some sites eg mines and quarry if you need to under go a safety check 1st they will make you remove them and leve them at the gate as they have it in they safety policy that a they are not to be used on site, I have heard a story form one of the other drivers he had one holding down his block and rubber mating and he was made to undo it and leave it at the gate even when he wood not have had to undo it to unload

I wonder what would be more dangerous , taking the dogs off a load of pipes or a trommel etc at the gate and then driving around to the unloading site . Or taking them off at the location . Some of these so called experts have a long line of initials after their names , but not one ounce of common sense .

Hendrik

I wonder what would be more dangerous , taking the dogs off a load of pipes or a trommel etc at the gate and then driving around to the unloading site . Or taking them off at the location . Some of these so called experts have a long line of initials after their names , but not one ounce of common sense .
I was wondering this myself, basically I would not drive an unsecured load one meter and what do these geniuses say is the approved tie down method? A rope, heavy duty ratchet straps?