• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hauling Demolition Debris to Landfill

Nac

Occupation
Construction
why don't they crush the concrete and sell the gravel:beatsme thats what they do here.

They do crush and sell Just that have huge stockpiles of RCA. I can get RCA at 10 diffrent places within 10 mins. of me Some guys cant even give it away how much they have.

shooterm

Occupation
Operator
We got a few demo clean up jobs that the contractors in 70's just buried. It was something awful at like $85 a ton. Only hauling 16 miles. It was cheaper to dump at another site sort with a skiddy clam bucket and run some material through the screener. I was in a hurry but we could of salvaged alot of hundred year old brick that someone would of wanted. Really the only contaminated material was the fines, old appliances, and tar basement sealer stuff.

Wolf

We always use highside enddumps.
0612.jpg

HPIM1343.JPG

Nice pictures. What kind of building did you knock down? Where was the debris sent? Was any of it recycled, or no time, all goes to the landfill?

Wolf

100 year old brick

We got a few demo clean up jobs that the contractors in 70's just buried. I was in a hurry but we could of salvaged alot of hundred year old brick that someone would of wanted.

I know a crew that could come in and salvage the 100 year old brick if it's not too busted up. Is it still around, or all got trashed already? PM me if you want to talk about it.

cheshirecat

I hate to hijack a thread but for some reason I can't create a new one.

Is Washington State the highest dump fees in the country? I keep reading everyone talking about $20 a ton or $40 a ton. Here in Washington State just about ever land fill is about $100 a ton or more.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler

Is Washington State the highest dump fees in the country? I keep reading everyone talking about $20 a ton or $40 a ton. Here in Washington State just about ever land fill is about $100 a ton or more.

It is very high here in Western Washington. I think Eastern Wa and Northern Oregon is cheaper.

The Peej

Here in CT the tipping fee at the transfer station is $125 for bulky waste

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

You need 3 posts under your belt before you can post your own thread, it's in order to keep the spammers out. Right now you have two, so make another post in another thread and you will be good to go.

If you have any problems check out the link in my signature line.

cheshirecat

I'm wondering what kind of factors weigh into the reasoning why some areas the fees are so low and some are so high?

Thanks for the info CM1995 makes sense now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'm wondering what kind of factors weigh into the reasoning why some areas the fees are so low and some are so high?

Thanks for the info CM1995 makes sense now.

No problem, you should be good to go now.

I guess the difference in gate/tonnage rates depends on several factors: land values, local/state rules and regulations, other landfills that offer competition, etc.

For instance our State DEP doesn't require a liner for C&D pits at this time. MSW is a totally different ball game. There are several C&D only pits and just about every MSW landfill has a C&D pit. This includes private and muni owned landfills in my area.

This coupled with rather lax regulations for C&D is why we have low rates. You can negotiate a gate rate down to $16-18 per ton or lower for C&D if you have the volume/tonnage.

I don't handle any MSW but the gate rates are $26-35 a ton. WM has a transfer station and I think they charge in the $40's per ton. Just the night routes use it because the landfills are closed.