• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hauling Demolition Debris to Landfill

TD-20G

I was wondering what demolition contractors use to haul debris to landfills from demolition projects.

Most of our projects are 40-50 miles from the neariest landfill.

The cost of dumpster is too high and its slows the project down when we are waiting on dumpsters.

I don't like the ideal of frameless dump trailers dumping in a landfill.

An all steel full framed trailer works well if there is a good, level place to dump.

Has anyone tried an all steel push out trailer? Will they push out demolition debris with lumber and heavy debris?

I don't like the idea of an aluminum walking floor because of the cost of a new trailer and I don't think the aluminum would hold up with large amounts of heavy debris. Plus, I think it would be easy for some of the debris to get stuck in the trailer.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on the matter.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Most guys around here used aluminum walking floors, with the C&D broken up into smaller pieces.

adam21584

I have seen push out trailers they seem to work well but almost all I see are live floors. I think push out trailer are heavier.

thodob

we use containers (25-40m3), also using a trailer if enough space on the site or long transport.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
We use all kinds of dump trailers. We try all keep the frameless for concrete and full framed for trash, but they get used for whatever is needed. We have a fleet of rolloffs too, but there basically used as dump trucks. In CA we used a lot of high side frameless trailer for trash never had an issue.

Last edited:

TD-20G

Dumping at landfills

Thanks for you replys.

The problem we ran into is unloading the end dumps at the landfill. If the load doesn't slide out or gets stuck in the box, the drivers move forward and backwards trying to unload the box. If there is an uneven spot in the ground, or the load is heavier to one side than the other, box starts to move around and you end up with a side dump and not an end dump. The spring axles can also give the box some play from one side to the other when moving forward. The end dumps we have are both 35', full framed, all steel.

Hendrik

To a certain extend it depends on the drivers, a good driver can unload in difficult conditions but a average driver will have the tipper on it's side by morning smoko.
Semi tippers do require experienced operators, whereas tip trucks or tip trucks pulling a dog/pig are better for the wannabe truck drivers.
Tip over axle semi tippers should only be used on very hard and level ground, chassis tippers are better for rougher conditions but.........
Also depends on the dump, if they can't maintain a level dumping area then they shouldn't be in the dump business. Surely the have big dozers or loaders to push and compact the material away from the tip site.
With all the safety regulations in place they must provide a safe tip area, however in the real world in which we work...............

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
We always use highside enddumps.
0612.jpg

HPIM1343.JPG

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
We use our own roll off boxes, 40 CY. Forty to Fifty miles one way is a long haul, most times we are only 30 miles away, makes me feel like we are lucky in that respect. Our dump fees are $47.00 per ton.

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
Wow I thought or dump fees were steep, we are paying right around 20 bucks a ton, depending on the county were working in.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Excavator759

Occupation
excavator, demolition, site work contractor
we are lucky here in ohio right now, my dumping fees on 50 yd boxes are $11.00 a ton plus 150 trucking, sometimes 200 depending on the distance. we also have it set up that if i feel the box is heavy we can just dump for a flat $130.00 fee. the roll off company is treating me good, but i have demoed 1or 2 houses a day pretty much all year.

tootalltimmy

In the south Okanagan where I am they have one landfill site for unsorted demo material - $125 a metric tonne. (2200lbs) If it goes to another landfill, the fees for unsorted demo are double.

buckfever

$125 a ton:eek::eek::eek: . around here you can drop off concreat, asphalt, brick, and block for $30 a semi load. a processor will take all wood and drywall for 11.00 a ton. shingels and asbestose will have to go to the dump. 50 a ton

YELLOMTLMILITIA

My buddy owns a couple of Stecco ejection trailers and I have used them quite a bit. I believe they build them in Enid, Ok. We could take an FIAT FL20 and crush two 1500 sq' homes into toothpicks while leaving the slab intact which is a chore with a 60k lb trackloader and then load out both houses in one ejection trailer. one load!! I would go dump and he would already be hooked up to a half round and loading slab and footings I would go get another half round and drop off the ejector and we would be done for the day.

At the dump people would get real nervous when i pulled up beside them since the trailer was so long and massive they thought it was a dump and all the guys hand unloading trucks would be hauling ass to get away from me incase I went over. When they saw me start pushing it out the back they were like WTF??? We packed that stuff in thier so tight it came out like a loaf of bread.

I recommend not putting any dirt or concrete in them since the side walls will start to bow out under load and make the push block jump off track. he did that to his first trailer being to lazy to run back for an end dump and it made it to whee you had to be real carefull of how much you loaded it and so the new trailer he took real good care of it until he did a water tower demo and stacked to much sheet metal in there and when he was dumping it caved a section of the sidewall. He took it back to stecco and they rewelded a new section in the sidewall. great trailers as long as you dont abuse them.

Last edited:

crazycajun

Funny how prices are so different around the country... In Louisiana, it's about $3.50-$5.00 per yard. Concrete they come pickup for free!

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Well if it is for my own demo I haul in 40 Cy roll off box's. Here in NJ C&D is from mid 50-90/ ton to dump depends where it came from. An of course you have to be lisenced with the DEP. Concrete is getting out of hand nobody wants it any more because there stock piles are getting huge and the rca piles are over flowing. It cost from 175=340 to dump a 20 cy box some guys want to charge 15/ ton

YELLOMTLMILITIA

My budy made a deal to except trees at his concrete and asphault dump for cheap if the landfill would take his ejection trailer loads for cheap. He also owns a roll off company so we built an exchange pit and would dump all the roll offs and then we would load the debris in ejection trailors. We ended up being able to put two 40 yards and 1 20 yard dumpster in one ejection trailer. He made a killing doing that.

buckfever

Well if it is for my own demo I haul in 40 Cy roll off box's. Here in NJ C&D is from mid 50-90/ ton to dump depends where it came from. An of course you have to be lisenced with the DEP. Concrete is getting out of hand nobody wants it any more because there stock piles are getting huge and the rca piles are over flowing. It cost from 175=340 to dump a 20 cy box some guys want to charge 15/ ton

why don't they crush the concrete and sell the gravel:beatsme thats what they do here.