1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Hauling cat 315 on 20 ton tag

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by ChevyKenworth, Dec 13, 2014.

1. ChevyKenworth

ChevyKenworth Active Member

Anybody hauling a 315 on 20 ton tag trailer? I'm looking to buy a tag trailer to haul a cat 315 track hoe and I want to see how many of yall haul one on a 20 ton tag and how is it.

2. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

We Haul a 315d on a TK 40 trailer it's hard to get it low enough with the stick configuration we have. We had a 315 D that we hauled all the time and it was right at 13'6. Make sure you have a tandem axel truck.

3. ChevyKenworth

I'm planning to haul it around with a tri axle dump truck. Do you trailer ever feel over loaded or start to sway at certain speed?

4. blowerman

blowerman Well-Known Member

I've hauled a 160 volvo (same size) for about a year on a 20 ton trailer behind our kenworth quad. Not that it didn't fit and scale out, but never felt very safe. After a year I updated to a 25 ton tri-axle with an extra 5 ft. Well worth it and for a quality used trailer, wasn't much more than my 20 ton.

5. ChevyKenworth

I have been looking for a good used 25 ton tag but the only one I have found close to me was way over priced, that's when I started looking at 20 ton tags. I only need one to last me a few years till I'm ready to buy a lowboy.

6. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

I don't pull a excavator yet but do pull a 963 on a triple axle pintle. I started with a tandem axle trailer but just didn't feel good behind the short tandem I had. Long trailer, longer tandem and the pintle on the truck closer to the rearend made a world of difference in how big loads pull.

Get the longest trailer you can find, my deck is 25 foot and if I was building it again it would be 30 foot. The third axle seems to be a good investment.

7. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Hauled a 50,000 lb hoe for many years on a 25 ton tridem. I felt it pulled/trailed ok. Only thing I got tired of was the instability while loading. Actually slid it off the side one morning at -20°F and laid it over on cab side. You will be very happy when you get your lowboy.

8. clintm

clintm Senior Member

trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
    don't pull it to far forward on the trailer because you are working off of a triangle with any pintle hitch trailer and the farther forward you get the closer to the point of the triangle and the higher center of gravity you will have and a excavator is worse because the counter weight is all ways toward the front of trailer

9. Colorado Digger

Colorado Digger Senior Member

I wouldn't worry a bit about a 160 on a 20 ton tandem. We move our 210's on a triple 25 ton. It is an interstate dl. The 225 is a bit of a pig but none of our move are very far. Maybe 40 miles one way. If I was running the stuff down the interstate or over Vail pass I would get a lowboy. Hauling our 160 on the 25t is like hauling a skiddy behind a pickup.

CD

10. Landclearer

Landclearer Senior Member

I would go for the 25 ton tag as well. We have a 20 ton Eager Beaver and a 315C with a thumb, always feels overloaded to me. We will move it on short hauls but if we go out any distance we use the lowboy.

11. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Pulled a 315 with a 54K tandem tag quite a bit and it was fine. You do have to pay attention to the weight spacing. I loaded it counterweight to the front and boom to the back. The deck was 28' plus beaver tail.

If I were looking for a tag, I would go for a triple axle 30' deck. Third axle air lift to save on tire scrub in tight places and tire wear on lighter loads. Air or hydraulic ramps saves a lot of frustration.

12. ChevyKenworth

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at some 25 ton Kaufman trailers and Hudson trailers but didn't want to pay the price for the new trailer when I could get a good used tractor and trailer for the same price, only thing is that I didn't want the extra truck and trailer insurance cost right now.

13. Colorado Digger

I don't really like the super long trailers. I think for backing up purposes the shorter ones are better. I am going to start looking for a tippy-top though. I always like the ramps b/c you can load 2 pieces. Like a skiddy and a mini or a dozer and a compacter. However,our main driver is 68 and the ramps are really tough on him so we always help him load and unload. I think the tippy-top with the rear drop axle would be the way to go. I am starting to look for a triple axle lowboy so we will see what the sale turns up on Wednesday.

CD

14. ChevyKenworth

I really would like to go ahead and get the lowboy but not only I don't want the extra insurance cost, I won't have room for it for a while till I move.

Any body have any experience with Kaufman trailers?

Anybody got any pictures of their setups?

15. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I'm with ya' chevykenworth. For me right now it's cheaper to hire out my lowboy moves as we don't move that much. When I do get a lowboy and tractor, I want a dump trailer and log trailer as well in order to spread the cost of the tractor and be able to do more things with it that make money instead of just move equipment, like Landclearer.

A dump truck and tag make a lot of sense if it fits your model. A tag trailer's tag and registration is cheap here. Insurance is cheap as well, as one is paying the bulk of the insurance on the pulling vehicle. If that's a dump then you get double duty out of it.

I can't justify the cost of a lowboy and tractor with the price I pay to get the equipment moved at the moment. Work in my area is still sporadic but it's getting better.

16. Colorado Digger

My tractor was pretty cheap. It's a 86 w900 with a cat 425b and 13 speed. I also want a lowboy, rock trailer and step deck. All added cost that I am not ready for just yet. My Volvo is registered to 84,000 lbs with the pup or trailer and cost $2600.00 this year plus paying the IRS special use tax.

17. ChevyKenworth

I seen a used trail king tk-40 for sale on Craigslist that looks to be in good condition that looks like it would do the job until I'm ready for the lowboy. I saw a guy a few weeks ago hauling his Komatsu 160 on a 20 ton tag, he had it loaded towards the back of the trailer over the trailer tandems. It looked like it got the job done, I didn't get to ask him how was it doe.

I was thinking of loading the 315 the same way on the trailer.

18. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

Nice triple axle tilt top on purple wave but it seems on that sight things go high.

19. ChevyKenworth

The used 25 ton trailer I seen for sale was $18500, I can't see myself paying that much for a used tag.

20. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

I usually build my own trailers, the last one a triple axle with air ride. Ended up with less than 6000 in it with new tires. I'm a cheap ars and have saved new and used steel from commercial jobs for years.

There was a nice triple axle for sale around here last year for around 12,000 for a long time. If you watch craigslist enough deals will pop up. You may have to travel a little for them.

As high as steel is now that has probably made the used trailer prices higher.