• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hard surfaceing ripper points

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
The reason the point is so important in the material im in is because its just layer after of shale; ive ripped hard white rock to granite, where it actually took skill finding an edge turning to different angles, this stuff is nothing like that, with a good point its just put it in and rip in a straight then your right back to dozing, the amount of fuel a d11 burns when you start backing up because the ripper came out of the ground just to put it back down and try again the efficiency really goes down, you start ripping more than your dozing.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In that case I'd be looking at the longest possible point with the greatest amount of meat on it that you can get because breakage appears not to be an issue. Also I'd go for ARM simply to get more abrasion resistance and keep the point sharper for longer. I think I'd still test centreline (straight - reversible) tips versus penetration (drop-nose, non reversible) tips head to head to see which type rips better and stays sharper for longer.

Also there is a new hammerless fixing system called Capsure out for D11 ripper tips. Ask your dealer for details. We don't use the ripper tips but we do use the bucket teeth on large loaders. The system works extremely well.

Would a multi shank ripper work better maybe..?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . 637slayer. What you mentioned about layers of rock is real interesting.

I was on a job where we were ripping layered sandstone and mud-rock with one of the early single tine Kellys on a D9.

We were doing okay lifting and busting out in layers and then I put a D8 up the Kellys arse and we more than doubled production. The extra horsepower and traction allowed us to get the tooth under a layer and just rip on down the cut.

It was a rough ride on the D8 as some of the slabs peeling out were pretty big. Never seen the likes of it before or since and, as always I'm kicking myself that I never took any pictures.

Cheers.

Gavin84w

Most ripping operations I've ever seen use the penetration (non reversible) points, but I'm by no means a ripping expert. Whatever point is used a lot depends on the guy in the seat for a ripper to produce.

The penetration tip will make a poor operator look that little bit better Nige as it "gets in" to the material easier initially. Keeping it sharp still falls back to the guys technique.