• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Happy New 955L Owner With Questions

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The outside shanks are definitely worn the worst. I'm going to weld blocks on the shanks to cheat and take up the slop faster than building them up with weld, then use bolts with washers welded on the ends.
Just make sure that the teeth have a bit of up-and-down "waggle" after you finish building up the adapters. You should not have to beat the teeth into position to get the pins in.

leadfarmer

Done. Alright let’s see how long these last! I didn’t use washers, I just welded the ends of the bolt to the tooth. Figured that was stronger than welding washers on. If this doesn’t work out I will be looking at different shanks and probably teeth anyways.

8A188BA6-8A01-4F35-873D-3E4540BA69A3.jpeg

I picked up this L-TEC Heliarc 250HF welder over the weekend when I happened upon it for sale on FB marketplace. $400 got me a pretty nice welder! It stick welds better than my Lincoln Idealarc 250, it’s easier to adjust, and it came with a pedal for TIG. Plus high frequency for aluminum. Much improvement over thr scratch starting that I’ve been doing with my Lincoln. I had never heard of L-TEC but some google research only came up with good reviews and I have to agree, it’s a solid machine.

3B58C362-EE8F-4508-B525-CAD58FBC470D.jpeg

Last edited:

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Damm fine Job! I just got to ask one Dumb Question when you push the teeth in, it hits the back of the shank not the back of the pin hole. Right.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
The New Teeth must have been begging for their First Bite! Looks good, you graded it out Sweet!

leadfarmer

Well I still can’t finish grade worth a damn with the 955L but I’m getting better.

For finishing I use my Kubota L3400 with a 6’ box scraper on the back. Using that to smooth out the dirt is like cheating.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I Gotta get me one of those Things!!!!

My neighbor just bought one.

After seeing him doing his driveway with one, and now you too!

I Gotta Gotta get me one of those Things!!!!

Last edited:

leadfarmer

Another season of playing operator is wrapping up.

I found that the 955L trans and engine temp stay lower if I never throttle down while operating. I always come to a complete stop when changing directions, but I always stay throttled up. Is this the right way I should be running the 955L?

Previously I was throttling up and down all the time as I changed directions. Which meant I was also pushing or digging at lower rpms at times as I was working the throttle and moving, etc.

I also found that some of my sprocket segment nuts on both were working loose. What do these get torqued to? I wasn't able to find the number in any documents I have. Thanks!

AllDodge

Another season of playing operator is wrapping up.

I also found that some of my sprocket segment nuts on both were working loose. What do these get torqued to? I wasn't able to find the number in any documents I have. Thanks!

Agree keep throttle up

From Nige on my 955 track replacment, post 75

Torque for sprocket segment nuts (with bolt threads lubricated with light oil before assembly) - 130+/-20 ft. lb.
Start tightening from the centre of the segment and work to both ends. Then tighten 120 degrees in the same sequence.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...sprocket-springs-and-other-stuff.55139/page-4

Welder Dave

Cat transmissions can be full throttle when changing direction but decelerating will extend transmission life. My 931B has the throttle on the shift lever. Some don't like it but once you get used to it, doesn't slow your production at all. There's a reason big dozers have a decelerate paddle.

leadfarmer

Well it’s that time of year again when I’m trying to work like mad and something goes wrong.

Last night I ran the 955L out of fuel. Oops. Tank was bone dry.

Today I tossed in 25 gal and changed the fuel filter. Filter was full of fuel which I thought was odd.

I bled the system as usual.

Ran the machine 10 minutes and it started bogging down like it was running out of fuel.

Fuel pressure gauge was reading good.

Idled down and it sounded like it wasnt firing on one cylinder at idle.

Stop engine and bleed air again. Lot of air comes out of the pump before fuel.

Close bleeder and hand pump never gets really really hard, just a little more firm.

Fire up the machine and it runs great for about 10 minutes moving dirt before it starts to bog down and rough idle again.

I repeated this cycle 5 or 6 times of operating, bogging down, bleeding air, etc.

Where is all this air coming from? I made sure the new filter is tight and the old gasket didnt stick on the housing.

Grrrrrr

Bluox

You likely have a partial plugged fuel line that comes out of the tank.
Take the line off at the screen and see how much fuel runs out.
Bob

leadfarmer

Changed the filter after work today.

I cut them both open.

The filter that was on a year was obviously dirtier, but they BOTH seemed to have about the same pile of junk in the bottom of the filter. That’s interesting.

Im not aware of any other screens or filters. Am I mistaken?

I unhooked the line on the bottom of the tank. When I open the valve at the bottom of the tank the fuel flows out freely.

I used compressed air to blow out the line from the tank to the filter, with the filter removed. I reconnected that line and when I turned open the valve fuel at the tank the fuel was flowing freely out of the filter housing.

And it still acts like its running low on fuel after some minutes of normal operating, and then I have to prime the system again. Im just not sure if the air I hear at the end of the bleeder tube is pressure or vaccum when I first open that bleeder valve.

anyways, what next? i guess I will blow put that short metal line from the filter to the pump.

Attachments

• ED0C30CB-C941-4AE7-AE34-D319D31E26D2.jpeg
    ED0C30CB-C941-4AE7-AE34-D319D31E26D2.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 79FF6014-C15F-4E99-AA24-53790793905C.jpeg
    79FF6014-C15F-4E99-AA24-53790793905C.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 12
  • EE031698-8EC4-4E5C-B8B6-8EB9FBA9D4DA.jpeg
    EE031698-8EC4-4E5C-B8B6-8EB9FBA9D4DA.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 12
  • 360E997E-58CF-44F4-BAFF-4E182AC738F4.jpeg
    360E997E-58CF-44F4-BAFF-4E182AC738F4.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 12

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
When it acts as though it’s starving for fuel have you tried cracking the tank cap.? Does it appear as though there is a vacuum in the tank at that point.?
Yep you could have a plugged vents in the cap or the filter in cap might be caked with dirt. I see in post #133 that you have the locking type cap so here is what it looks like:
Cap.jpg
#2 is the filter, not sure but think it is foam and if still in one piece might be it just need cleaning. The red arrows point to the vent holes that also might be plugged.

361brock

Occupation
retired
I think I have a full set of shanks for that machine if you care to drive to staten island, maybe even the cat bolts to attach to bucket.