• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

H Series Cat scrapers

vapor300

Kolb actually has 6- 651's, and they got rid of all there 31's a few years ago, and got rid of all there 27's this past year. They think those john deeres are the future, there even talking about getting rid of there 51's and buying more john deeres.

Gavin84w

Kolb actually has 6- 651's, and they got rid of all there 31's a few years ago, and got rid of all there 27's this past year. They think those john deeres are the future, there even talking about getting rid of there 51's and buying more john deeres.

Thats a scraper outfit that has hade some management changes for sure to not back themselves with the tools they probably built there name on and go that way says to me the real dirt movers of the company have moved on. If they are 4YR 651E,s let me know cos, i have a customer down here that will take them if they are around 10000hrs.

tireman

When I was doing their tire service,they only had 4 651's(all E models).They only had 4 627's left-2E's#'s11&12,2F's#'s 13&14.They had sold off all their B model 627's in '99.I just came back to the area a few months ago,and drove by their shop a couple of weeks ago.Noticed they have done some serious building on since I last saw the place,which was probably "01.I did see some of their equipment on HWY 94,noticed the new pull-pans(they had a gang of those Reynolds pans when I serviced them).Do you work for them or know someone who does,or is that just the rumors going around the mill?There werre rumors that they were getting rid of the '51's back then because they were such a hassle to move.Obviously that was just a rumor since they bought 2 more.

Last edited:

Dr. Ernie

In my humble opinion, coming into the cut there is no reason at all to hook up in any taller gear than second. Second gear is the gear to load in and I don't need to be pushed until I am well into my cut. I come in cleaning up behind us/cutting to grade as fast as I can without duck walking. I don't want to be pushed faster for many different reasons.

The perfect partner for me hooks up after I have down shifted to second, before I start cutting heavy, locks the dif lock and keeps it pinned wide open.

I am another one that likes my cut and fill neat all the time. At any time a storm rolls in a quick drag of the windrows and it will drain. Not only that it keeps production up. I can pull into a neat cut or fill a lot faster than I can one that is a mess without beating the crap out of myself and my machine.

Brian, I have to dissagree. In sandy conditions hop is your limiting factor, 3rd is a great gear to load in as the material flows in better and you can get a full bowl with out pumping.

BrianHay

That is true Ernie, there is an exception to every rule I guess. Sand can be every bit as tricky as mud to load out efficiently. Another thing that makes a world of difference to help stop the hop in sand is to leave your cushion hitch on. I never shut it off in sand, ever. Some claim that is hard on it but I am not convinced that it is.

Dr. Ernie

Brian, I take it you are back to moving the earth rather than massageing it. I have taken to massaging dirt full time I ended up with a Menzi A-91.

Kman9090

Kolb has had 6 651's since the late 90's all were bought from the same company. Me and Vaopr worked for Kol b for 5 years. They are still trying to sell the 651's but they still use them. Some are off HWY 67 in Poplar Bluff and some are on Route 5 last time I heard. We ran the 627F's right before they were sold, actually we were running them till the buyer came and got em.
All four 627's
http://s369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/kman9090/?action=view&current=aaaaaa.jpg

me and vapor before Jeff put GPS on them http://s369.photobucket.com/albums/oo132/kman9090/?action=view&current=TNT2.jpg

BrianHay

That's awesome Ernie, hope it works out well for you!

I was out in Alberta for a little while last year on a 57 and still take on the odd small project myself at home with rented machines (don't have mine any more).

What I am really aiming for is a new career path though. I so badly just want a normal home/family life (getting married!) after spending so many years working away from home. I have always been really gifted with computers, enjoy creating websites and helping others create theirs. So that is what I have been going hard at this winter, trying to get myself established with it.

But that will take some time to get established well enough that I can call it my full time job so some time soon I will probably be looking for some big dirt to move in Alberta for a while again....bring my laptop and keep at it in the evenings.

tireman

That's cool.When were you guys working for Kolb?Was Donnie Moffitt still running jobs for Jeff?He's the one that I was talking about that came up when I was doing those tires on that '51 the first time.That was out on 109 behind Chesterfield airport,cross the tracks and up that hill-the job was on the left a few miles after the stop sign at the top of the hill.Would've been about July of '98.Anyways,they only had four of the '51's when I was servicing them-they were all out at Winghaven for a long time.Before that they were at Weber's quarry out at New Melle.I've got some pics of them out there.I'll get them dug out and scanned on one of these days.They're in storage at the moment.Also got a pic of one of their '37's neck-blocked as I was preparing to change the right front tire on it when the Winghaven job was just getting started.In fact,the '51's were the first scrapers to get painted and get the new logo's(winter of '98-'99).I had to go out to the place they were done to air the tires because they had to deflate them to get them into the old red shed where they were painting at(some old farmstead not far from the shop&office-not the farm in the bottoms on the river).Like I said,there was a great bunch of guys working for them back then-Eddie,Ralph&George were the mechanics-Tommy & Delbert the truck drivers(& Paul until he left in '99)-Allen the lube man-John the equipment super was who I dealt with most(him or Tommy were the ones who always called me when they needed something).

Kman9090

Yup know all them guys, Don Moffit Still works there and I'll keep my oponion to myself on him. Tommy really like me and my brother ask him anytime about the Moorman twins he likes us, or ask Jeff Kolb he likes us as well. I just bmake alot more money where I'm at. Me and my brother just repainted the 651's 2 years ago as well as restickered them. The Winghaven job my dad started that job as he was a superintendent there for 17 years. Kolb is still a great company and i'd love to work there again but I took a Foreman position for a different company. Do you work for Cross Midwest Tire by chance?

tireman

Yeah,that's me.So Butch was your dad,huh?Yeah I remember him.I had misplaced my steel block once and tried another one on one of those '27F's and it was too big and shot out of that neck like a bullet and busted a main metal hydraulic line that runs on top of the tranny,and Fabick had to order it-took a few days,so when Allen got in on and refilled I was there and tried a different block and the same thing happened.He wasn't too happy.That's the only times that I've ever had that happen.Yeah,Butch was a good ol' boy,though.He didn't raise much fuss that I was aware of,but I could tell he was hot when I flagged him down and told him.I felt like a rookie.I was at Cross in 98 & 99.

vapor300

HAHAHA Yeah he is are dad, i could see him gettin upset about that, i bet when you did it the 2nd time you were not looking forward to that phone call you had to make to tell them you did the same thing again

tireman

I didn't make no call.He was driving by right as it happened.It was a face to face thing.Yeah,I felt pretty bad.He was really wanting that thing going.He already had the operator getting off the machine he was on to get on the '27.Like I said,only two times I ever had a block shoot out.Never before or since.Those F's were the only ones with that hydraulic line in that spot,according to John Froese.Is he still with Kolb too?

Last edited:

vapor300

yeah he is still there, they made him a dirt moving foreman when hes been a mechanic is whole life, made alot of sense to me. But yeah those F's were good scrapers, we ran them for 3 years up until they got rid of them

Aussie Leroy

Well i have heard it again, Caterpillar is working on a new scraper, Has anyone heard about the NEW 621K, 623K, and the 627K just straight from the CATS mouth Cheers Leroy

Gavin84w

Yes they will be Tier 4 final, begin production early next year no real surprise as that was always the plan. Looking forward to the larger 631K & 637K.