• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Guinea Pig

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you can't find a nitrogen spec anywhere I'd start at around 180-200 PSI. Too low nitrogen charge it will hit light/fast. Too high it will hit slow or not at all, depending on what your relief is set at. The nitrogen is what gets compressed by the piston and gives it the force to hammer into the toolbit.

Looks almost identical to a brand I deal with quite often and they're spec'd anywhere from 230-250 PSI depending on size. Better to start a little low and see how it works first.

I've always treated the nitrogen charge a nothing but a spring for the hammer inside the breaker to rebound on. The power in the hammer was due to the flow and pressure from hydraulic system.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've always treated the nitrogen charge a nothing but a spring for the hammer inside the breaker to rebound on. The power in the hammer was due to the flow and pressure from hydraulic system.
Depends on the breaker. Some are full hydraulic and the nitrogen accumulator is only there to take the pressure spikes out of the return flow.

A breaker like we're looking at here uses hydraulic and the nitrogen to fire. Hydraulics push the piston up into the nitrogen chamber and the combined force of the nitrogen and hydraulics drive the piston down onto the toolbit. When the nitrogen charge is empty the breaker gets very weak since there's no nitrogen pressure in there for the piston to rebound against.

It is very common that I'll recharge a low hammer and then get a phone call from the customer once it gets on the jobsite saying it doesn't hit anymore. Once they turn the pressure relief up to where it should have been set at 99% of the time the breaker works properly.

ianjoub

Ok, first problem.

The skid steer threw at track at less than 5 hours. It was a PITA to get back on. When back on, it was popping and trying to walk off again. I brought it home and did the inspection. The sprocket retaining nut was missing and the sprocket would have walked all of the way off if the idlers didn't prevent it. I checked the other side. The nut had little to no torque on it. Maybe it is supposed to be that way for the bearing, I do not know as I have no service manuals. What I do know is it is a castle nut and the shaft is drilled for a cotter pin. No cotter pin was present on the side that still had the nut. I assume a cotter pin was not installed on the side that the nut went missing.

Now the big issue: Where do I find a 32mm x 1.75 nut? I haven't been to the shop for my thread pitch gauge yet. I measured the 32mm, my best guess is 1.75, looks to coarse to be 1.5...

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
Well, that sucks. But how was it for the 5 hr? I think it is obtainable even if you have to have it machined, but i bet it’s available in some form. Might not be a castle but you can drill it.

ianjoub

Well, that sucks. But how was it for the 5 hr? I think it is obtainable even if you have to have it machined, but i bet it’s available in some form. Might not be a castle but you can drill it.
It is much stronger than the Vermeer 925 I have rented many times. It also pushes (bull dozer) MUCH better. It does need some counter weights and maybe some 'wheelie bars'. It likes to roll both ways in line with the tracks.

ianjoub

I guess I should add:

The mini ex is doing fine. It works well, tracks well, and seems to have adequate power to do the work it was intended for. My only gripe is the 2.3 mph ground speed. WOW, it is slow tracking around!

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
Well my u48-5 goes just wee bit faster at 3mph. It’s painful if i have to do something on the other side of farm. At least I have hvac and can watch youtube in the cab.

Vetech63

Ok, first problem.

The skid steer threw at track at less than 5 hours. It was a PITA to get back on. When back on, it was popping and trying to walk off again. I brought it home and did the inspection. The sprocket retaining nut was missing and the sprocket would have walked all of the way off if the idlers didn't prevent it. I checked the other side. The nut had little to no torque on it. Maybe it is supposed to be that way for the bearing, I do not know as I have no service manuals. What I do know is it is a castle nut and the shaft is drilled for a cotter pin. No cotter pin was present on the side that still had the nut. I assume a cotter pin was not installed on the side that the nut went missing.

Now the big issue: Where do I find a 32mm x 1.75 nut? I haven't been to the shop for my thread pitch gauge yet. I measured the 32mm, my best guess is 1.75, looks to coarse to be 1.5...
ANDDDDDD Hereeeeeeeee we goooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ianjoub

This is the inside of the track frame where the idler slider runs for track adjustment. The grease tensioner presses against the back and moves the idler/shaft forward. The cutouts in the bottom are where the rollers bolt through the frame. When the track came off, I loosened the grease zerk in the tensioner. I was able to press the idler back, but it stopped before it got far enough back leaving me insufficient play to get the track back on.

004.jpg

My field solution, as I was working in the muddy bottom of a fairly deep pit, was to cut the idler shaft. This allowed me enough play to get the track back on. When I got home I removed it and welded it back together. The weld will be fine as it can't go anywhere and the only force on it will be compression.

006.jpg

I figured out the tensioner was dropping slightly and then was pressing a flat portion against the square holes in the bottom of the track frame, thus not allowing the assembly to collapse any more. My solution was a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal cut to lay flat in the bottom of the track frame. This will prevent the tensioner assembly to get locked out too far when I need to collapse it again.

005.jpg

ianjoub

I got it back together fully collapsed.

007.jpg

Reinstalled and tensioned the track. I made another one for the other side but will wait to put it on. I am not sure I would be able to get the track off to do the job as the tensioner is likely to hang up and not collapse enough to get the track off. I will have to wait until it derails itself. Once it does, the reinstallation with my mod is a relatively quick and simple thing.

008.jpg

ianjoub

Next up, drained battery on the mini skid steer. I look at the alternator and there is nothing plugged into the 3 prong connector on the back of the alternator. A quick search turned up no wire/connector in the area that was just unplugged...

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I appreciate the fact you are owning this and keeping us informed on the trials and tribulations.

I've been to China twice - you are much, much more trusting than me to wire them $32K for equipment you can't put your hands on...

Good luck?

ianjoub

OMG, I am rolling on the floor laughing.

I sent a message about no wires to the alternator and no charging. I got this video back!

Ok, unsupported file. It is a short video of someone hooking up a battery charger to the battery on the loader.

I guess there is no charging system despite the Kubota engine having an alternator on it.

ianjoub

Probably need a regulator.
I was going to research the alternator by part number. It is part of the Kubota engine assembly, not the chinese company's unit. I would be surprised if it is not internally regulated. As I said, I will research it first though.

There is an alignment issue with the tensioner arm that holds the idlers. I have come up with a solution. I will post up with pics when I finally get back to it and effect the repairs. May be tomorrow or Monday. STAY TUNED :D

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
You’re probably right, i wonder if it’s a 24v and thats why they don’t wire it up. Makes no sense to have functioning alternator and not use it.