• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Guess I should Have Locked It Out!

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Yup, that's the way I read it.
Both should have been reprimanded.
Why do you think the engineer who flashed it up should be reprimanded. He was both authorised and qualified to run a machine for testing purposes.He probably wouldn't have been great at loading logs with it but neither would I as a mechanic. It could have been any of the mechanics or most of the engineers in the shop that hit the start button maybe just to move it out of the way to get to something else or to swing it around to access something to get a measurement even. d.d.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The guy clearly did not do a walk around or check anything prior to starting the unit. Seeing tools, spill trays, open compartment doors, hoses/parts etc laying around should trigger a reaction like "hey I wonder what's happening here, maybe I should go ask if someone's working on this?"

The mechanic should have definitely done his part to lock/tag out the machine but the guy who started it also shares a slice of the blame as well.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sounds like something that normally happens in the logging industry. Both would have been the recipients of a rigging fit for the amount of money the oil cost. The owner might have even slammed his ball cap on the ground.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
We maintained a lot of remotely controlled and Auto start equipment. 4 1200 hp pumps and motors on one side of the wall and 4 DC drives in the electrical room on the other side. My former boss came in on the millwrights were starting to take apart one of the pumps, let’s call it #3. He went into the electrical room and noticed #4 was locked out. That is why some kind of verifying step is needed in a lockout. A test start, voltage check, bleed valve opened……Cam

Reactions: DB2

JD955SC

The guy clearly did not do a walk around or check anything prior to starting the unit. Seeing tools, spill trays, open compartment doors, hoses/parts etc laying around should trigger a reaction like "hey I wonder what's happening here, maybe I should go ask if someone's working on this?"

The mechanic should have definitely done his part to lock/tag out the machine but the guy who started it also shares a slice of the blame as well.

Exactly. I’ve never done work beyond the most minor thing that didn’t involve a pile of tools, parts, panels open, etc that would be immediately spotted by using some common sense and looking at the machine. Certainly not work that would involve pulling major lines.

honestly part of the safety rules up the wazoo has been to replace common sense and thus allow the idiots to thrive. “bUt iT waSNt lOcKeD oUt”