• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grove MZ66B

BigDL

I live in France, renovating old property. I am thinking of buying the above machine, as I need a telescopic lift. Secondhand machines, (and cars for that matter), are relatively expensive in France, compared to the US. This machine is in Belgium, and the seller says it is in working order. I haven't seen it yet. The price is 6000 euros ($7500). The usage is a colossal 7700 hours. Date of manufacture 1997.
I intend visiting Belgium next week to look at various machines, but this is by far the cheapest on offer.
Having no experience whatever in such equipment, I am looking for a reasonably priced machine for my personal use, which will be limited, but on the other hand the last thing I need are serious maintenance problems with a huge piece of machinery.
Is such a high hourly use a prohibitive factor, or could the machine still be good....I have no idea what the lifespan of these machines is. Also, when I look at it, what basic things should I be checking out?
Many thanks for any help and advice on offer.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF BigDL. :usa

As with pretty much any machine, accumulated hours is less important than is machine overall condition. One should give the machine a thorough look over. First, and probably most important, check machine with engine cold, not previously warmed up by owner while you were traveling to site, you want to see how well (or bad) the engine starts cold. If that checks out well, check all the obvious machine components, oil leaks, condition of machine, condition of tires, extend the boom sections looking for damaged or bent sections. And being a manlift, be sure and check the condition of platform and platform controls, that stuff should be in good order. Control levers and locks in proper order, operation decal at platform controls should be legible, and lastly, all these controls should work properly.

BigDL

Many thanks for the advice willie 59. A few basic questions...........I presume all the controls on this machine work from platform level? Is there a control box on the body of the machine itself? What happens if one is aloft and the engine stops or for some reason the power cuts out?
How do you check out the braking system? On a slope?
Thanks again

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
There are boom operation controls at the machine base as well, and there is also "emergency operation" system in case engine fails, one should check this system for operation as well. It's very simple, test operation from both platform and ground controls, elevate boom a few feet, extend boom a few feet, shut down engine. Then turn ignition back on but don't start engine. Operate "telescope in" control while selecting the "emergency power" toggle switch. This should activate an electric pump and cause boom to telescope in. Perform the same test using the boom down control.

The brakes on the machine are spring applied. When drive is not selected, or engine off, brakes are on. When engine is running and drive is selected, hyd pressure overcomes springs and releases brakes. Once drive selection is released, hyd pressure is removed from brakes and springs once again apply the brakes. But I wouldn't "check out" the brake system on a slope, if for some reason they were not working a runaway situation is not desirable in the platform. You could try pulling the machine with a substantial weight vehicle and see if the brakes hold, or drive it up on a short ramp, release drive lever, and see if machine holds, if not, no danger or rolling very far. You could also get a good grip on the platform rails while on flat ground or slight grade, engage drive control, then quickly release it, machine should come to a hard stop rapidly and hold, be sure and hang on to the rail.

Last edited:

javier console

hola, muchas gracias a todos por los post, les comento que hace un tiempo estoy tratando de reparar un
Grove Aerial Manlift
MZ66B, el problema es que le pusieron la bateria con la polaridad alreves, y no encendio nunca mas, ya repare la Grove Aerial Manlift Relay Board Ass’Y Lcb, reemplaze muchos relays, y tambien repare
Model SA Actuator or Model SF Actuator
Used with a
Model E-211 Controller, pero sigo sin tener tension en contacto o encendido, solo funciona la bocina. necesito si alguien me podria enviar el manual de servicio de la mz66b, o el diagrama electrico, yo soy de Argentina y aca no hay nadie q repare esas cosas, el trabajo me vino bien ya que estamos pasando una situacion economica muy mala, les agradeceria si alguien me podria suministrar la informacion desde ya muchas gracias.
javierconsole@gmail.com

Hello, thank you very much to everyone for the post, I comment that some time ago I am trying to repair a
Grove Aerial Manlift
MZ66B, the problem is that they put the battery with the polarity alreves, and never lit again, and repair the Grove Aerial Manlift Relay Board Ass'Y Lcb, replace many relays, and also repair
Model SA Actuator or Model SF Actuator
Used with a
Model E-211 Controller, but I still have no contact or ignition voltage, only the horn works. I need if someone could send me the manual of service of the mz66b, or the electrical diagram, I am from Argentina and here there is no one to repair those things, the work came to me well since we are going through a very bad economic situation, I would thank you If someone could give me the information already and thank you very much.
Javierconsole@gmail.com

Attachments

• 20170622_040914.jpg
    20170622_040914.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170622_040932.jpg
    20170622_040932.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20161109-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20161109-WA0011.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20161109-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20161109-WA0012.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 9

Biddley

Hi, I also have a MZ66B with problems. I sure could use some suggestions.
It seems to be a hydraulic problem, maybe.
Most functions have the same problem.
As an example - operating from ground - the boom lifts fine. Lowering the boom the motor lugs down and will die if the switch is continually held.
Even moving the unit goes very slow.
Bucket functions have the same results - the motor will lug down.
Thanks,
Brad - Washington State