• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grove AT740 Crane Jumps into reverse.

kenjr

Crane jumps into reverse when started from the driver cab. Will not go into drive. Works normal when started from operator cab. HELP??

crane operator

You should have a separate FNR keypad upper and lower. So it works right upstairs but not downstairs.

So I'm going to shoot a wild guess and say its either the keypad downstairs, or the wiring harness downstairs between the keypad and the transmission.

So I personally would swap keypads from upstairs to downstairs, and see if the problem follows the keypad or not.

I'm going to guess that its not the keypad and you've got a wiring harness or connecter problem between the keypad and the transmission. But at least you can test and see if the keypad is the problem.

kenjr

I'm not sure what you mean by keypad. This crane has a shifter 1 to 6 downstairs and 1 to 3 upstairs.
its a 1990 model AT 740 B I think you might be talking about a newer crane. Thanks a lot for the reply!!!

crane operator

The later ones are allison transmissions. Sorry. that's what I thought yours had.

allison.jpg

I think the early ones are maybe a funk transmission, sorry. Does the lever move a manual push pull cable downstairs, or does it run a electrical pad/ board?

crane operator

Time to get out the tester and see what's going on. Process of elimination. You know the problem isn't in the transmission, because it works right upstairs. Something is whacked in the downstairs board, or in the wiring. I'm guessing wiring, but I'm wrong on a daily basis.

kenjr

I think your right, seems like we got power going to where it shouldn't be, kinda weird... maybe I just don't get something.