• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ground stabilizer

littleroadgrade

Anyone on here ever use ground stabilizer on the base of a rock road. I'm not talking about the fly ash and cement process i mean the liquid that you mix in water. The product I have looked into will cost somewhere around 8500 dollars for just the product to do one mile with a 27ft top. I would like to here of the longevity of this stuff from someone other than a sales person.
We are fighting a losing battle in southeast iowa with the hog buildings and the large farm equipment. The cost to rock these roads at 400ton to the mile is a cost of around 6000 dollars and all it is is a very short time fix. Our idea is that every road in the county gets rock every three to four years at the rate of 300 or 400 ton per mile. What we are doing is not working we have talked of putting down 1000 to 1200 ton to the mile but with that most of the roads in the county are going to get skipped on rock, then try to explain that to the people that live on those skipped roads when they go to crap.
Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

heavylift

The wind farms that I worked on use Magnesium Chloride to stabilize the road, It hardens the surface, keeps dust to almost nothing. It needs watered about once or twice a week.
They blade the road, use a heavy spray of water, then the tanker with a spreader bar starts to spray the road with Mag Chlor mixture. It is then rolled with a vibratory roller.
This stuff lasts for several months, unless you get a heavy rain. I goes to away rather quickly. But easily restored with more product. Sometimes the rain wouldn't effect it at all, I don't know if it had something to do with the age of the prepared surface. It may have been several months old.
This was a maintenance thing for the roads they were using to haul materials.
As for a base for a road, I can't say how the product would perform.

heavylift

Oh! one other thing, they don't blade the roads after the treatment. The seem to hold up to traffic very well. And their transports can weigh up to 300,000 pounds.