• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ground Bearing trailers

deeredriver

Well I need a 35 ton detach, and now have a few questions. How bad is a ground bearing trailer? I have always been arround the NGB traiers, and never been arround a GB trailer. What is the big hyd cylinder all about(jack leg)? How hard are they to hook/unhook? Thanks!

knucklehead98

I pulled a ground bearing a few times. THey hook and unhook about the same. The biggeest disadvantage I found was that if you got yourself bellied out,it was alot more work to get it humped up that a NGB trailer is. Thats just my opinion.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Low boy

Well I need a 35 ton detach, and now have a few questions. How bad is a ground bearing trailer? I have always been arround the NGB traiers, and never been arround a GB trailer. What is the big hyd cylinder all about(jack leg)? How hard are they to hook/unhook? Thanks!

I would highly recommend getting a NGB, its a lot less hassle. I had a GB (with the cylinder) it did the job, but I had a few bad issues. A GB will do the job, but you have to be more aware and patience. The one I had was a PITB to hookup, you had to be almost perfectly straight, to lockin. Most of the NGB, newer styles have lineup pins, that get you almost perfect to lockin. The NGB is easier to get hooked up in soft areas, you might have to think ahead and put boards under the trailer first. Mine had the pony engine, but it never failed, but a friend of mine had his fail twice on a busy road, trying to load his equipment. It wasnt a pretty picture and most of your friends lowboys, wont hook up to yours, so make sure you have a wet line, because that stupid pony engine, will never quit, unless you unhook LOL
Good Luck

knucklehead98

I would highly recommend getting a NGB, its a lot less hassle. I had a GB (with the cylinder) it did the job, but I had a few bad issues. A GB will do the job, but you have to be more aware and patience. The one I had was a PITB to hookup, you had to be almost perfectly straight, to lockin. Most of the NGB, newer styles have lineup pins, that get you almost perfect to lockin. The NGB is easier to get hooked up in soft areas, you might have to think ahead and put boards under the trailer first. Mine had the pony engine, but it never failed, but a friend of mine had his fail twice on a busy road, trying to load his equipment. It wasnt a pretty picture and most of your friends lowboys, wont hook up to yours, so make sure you have a wet line, because that stupid pony engine, will never quit, unless you unhook LOL
Good Luck

You brought up another good point. First time I ever pulled one I bellied it on dead (thankfully) railroad track. Of course the The pony was a pull start. Bout pulled my guts out before that thing finally started.

imbzcul8r

NGB is the way to go. I've had both, ngb makes everything easier, raise up to clear obstacles, don't worry about footpads sinking in the ground or even in hot pavement, so easy for the driver your drivers will fight to take a ngb over gb or ramp type.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums imbzcul8r! :drinkup

BCB

sorry i'm new to t the big stuff... whats a ground baring trailer? hows it differ from a GB?

imbzcul8r

GB= ground bearing meaning the trailer uses hydraulic cylinders pushing on pads which push on the ground to raise the trailer, ngb= non ground bearing the trailer gooseneck has a hinge point & uses hyd cylinders pushing between two points in the gooseneck to raise the trailer without touching the ground.

Jammar7

Man hole installers...... had one, never again! Now.... it has to be Non ground bearing, high lift, low pressure, high capacity lifting (full capacity right against the neck) and adjustable ride height. Won't even consider anything less than this.