• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Ok....its a bit of a stretch but I am pretty sure the original guys had logging in mind when these trucks were built.I have been Grizzly hunting for a few years and have found almost half of the trucks built are all on Vancouver Is.There are three of them just in Qualicum...I have found around 3/4 of them
I lived and worked in North Van when these trucks were built..I had just finished my 10 years at Pacific ..

This is truck #1 of 13 or 14 trucks..It has been on the Island for years and was owned by the widow of Geoff Buck the man behind Grizzly..She is a good friend of HDX and he hooked me up with her..

Truck has 53,000 miles on it..Engine is a Cummins 12V..

On Saturday I went to Nanaimo and purchased the truck...I will do one of my typical rebuild/refit jobs on it...

Many thanks to HDX and to Jean (the owner)
The truck is in good hands..[

ATTACH]143463[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• grizzly 003.jpg
    grizzly 003.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3,448

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
diamondtguy,well done Corey. Can you post year of this unit? Can you post a bit of info as to years of builds and types of running gear. Did they all come with same boxes?

wornout wrench

Corey, MAJOR SCORE.

Well, if I can't have it, I am glad that it is in your hands.
I love those trucks. I tried to find one a few years ago, but not to many left and those that are still around, well let us just say the owners were not willing to part with them.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Trucks were all custom ordered and were for the most part all different.This is the smallest truck they made and I believe they made 2 or 3 of these..This is the only auto 2wd that I know of..For some reason this truck has a transfer case in it but no driven front axle..
It is not on a dodge chassis and there is no dodge in the truck any where.Frame is a hand built 2x5 I believe(maybe 2x4) rectangular tubing .Suspension is Kenworth style I am told.3" wide leaf springs with the rear of the spring supported with huge air bags...
I will take detailed pics on the week end
Truck is a 1990 and built in North Van.
The frame,cab and front end were built by Grizzly,doors are aluminum and are from someone elses brand..
This is the only running Grizzly that I found that was actually for sale.I will refrase that..It was not for sale but she would sell it to me knowing I would look after it and give it a good home.
All my Grizzly pictures are on my photobucket account (427fastback)..
Contrary to what the internet says Pacific had nothing to do with these trucks..They did have some Pacific guys working there after Pacific started winding down and thinning the guys out.
I will be going through the truck from end to end..It will become a 4x4 and get a 5spd..The front fenders will get remade in aluminum as will the tailgate...
More later..

diamondtguy

Occupation
Good eye BP.....the mirrors are destined for the 45gal green plastic bucket..They are not big enough and they actually say Jeep on them...I will be putting westcoast mirrors on it...Early pictures of the truck show chrome(still small) mirrors but Jean doesn't ever remember them being changed..
Most of the pics of Grizzlys I have show them with Westcoast mirrors...cant think of a better mirror design

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
Great find Corey!
I remember an article on the Grizzly's in a logging magazine when they came out.
The idea was they would be simple to repair, no plastic! if you bent a fender just weld it back up!
I heard they used Kenworth doors until Paccar got wind and stopped them.

diamondtguy

Occupation
I have heard they are Kenworth doors as well...I have a picture of them fitting a door on a grizzly and it looks like the door came off a waist management truck (door was used)
The door panels have Grizzly embossed in them and the panels very much resemble the door panels on the Pacific.HDX can correct me if I am wrong but I believe Hayes and Pacific used the same guy to make there interiors.He was a local guy and it looks like his work on the Grizzly door panels as well..

I like a lot of things about the Grizzly as I have already said but yes..Its simple to repair,no computer and I can build it the way I want it.I haven't figured out yet how to fit a 16V71TT into it but it will come to me..

wornout wrench

I went to the Truck Loggers one year and Grizzly were set up as one of the displays.
Had a heck of a good talk with the fellow, must have been one of the owners.
But that was long ago.

I climbed all over that thing. Might have left a slug trail of drool. :D

I really wanted one, but 3 kids and a mortgage came first.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
diamondtguy,Challenger John would be a great guy to help fit a V-16 under the hood. May need a camera in front to see below the rad.
RCP57,do you have a Grizzly in your collection?