• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Yes....pretty sure that is your vacuum pump. My truck doesn't have that pump...I was told by the original owner that they bought the engine for truck #1 direct from Cummins..I'll assume that pump was part of Dodges spec for the engine.There are some other minor differences as well...
I am going to tear it apart tomorrow...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Took the fender back off this morning and got to work.Pulled the p/s pump off and removed all my lines to flush them and look for debris.Pump wasn't to bad to get off once I moved everything around.I see that the housing its mounted to is actually the vacuum pump mount.There is a cam operated pushrod under the 4 bolt cover.Just no pump.
I also decided to pull the box off.It is a 70's Ford truck pc and I doubt its been apart.Its also the only mechanical pc I have not removed from the truck.I might as well have it inspected/gone through while I am at it.Took less than a hour to get it out..
Tomorrow morning I will take them to Can Craft (1/2 hour away) and have them checked out..

grizzly 004.JPG grizzly 005.JPG grizzly 006.JPG grizzly 008.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Don't know what happened but the guy who last year bailed on our deal to by his loggers box has resurfaced.This time I have bought the whole truck less engine.I will convert the Ford frame to a trailer...Truck is a F-250...
Prices have doubled and tripled on Loggers boxes in the past few years.If I actually get it this time I will have got a really good deal...
I will put some tires and wheels on the truck and deal with with it later...

loggers box 004.JPG loggers box.jpg

diamondtguy

Occupation
Picked up the rebuilt box and pump today.They said the pump was in bad shape.I reinstalled it all today and will fill it up and try it tomorrow.I have some sealer on a few things so that's why the one day wait...Hopefully this solves the problem.
Both parts were painted by Can Craft and painted the correct colors...Nice touch..

grizzly 001.JPG grizzly 003.JPG grizzly 004.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Took the truck for a drive today...Pretty much no change.Power steering struggles and is intermittent and very little power brakes.As the pressure for the power steering goes through the top of the Hydro boost I am thinking it is some how plugged up there...Stepping on the brakes still makes the pump moan.
Lines cannot be hooked up wrong on the booster.Its a common port with two fittings...
I blew out all the hoses before I put it back together....
Hydro booster is a Cardone rebuild....I am not a fan of jobber rebuilt parts...
This is actually starting to **** me off.....

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
On any hydro-boost I've worked on it absolutely matters which port the pressure line is connected to, there is an accumulator charge check valve internally in the outlet to the steering gear. When standing in front of the truck looking at the booster LH port is pressure from the pump, RH port outlet to steering gear. Is it a Bendix hydro-boost?

Last edited:

diamondtguy

Occupation
Well you have me scrambling around now....I checked the photo's from when I tore it apart and then went and checked the truck.When standing in front of the truck I have the right port going to the box and the left port is pressure in from the pump...
I was hoping I screwed up....Its never that simple...
I think its a bendix.Its off a mid 70's Lincoln/T-bird..
Thanks for the info....

GregsHD

Occupation
Shoot! I was hoping it was just the lines crossed! If I wasn't 7 hours north I'd come give you a hand to figure it out.

Great job on the truck by the way, I remember in the 90's I believe Mt Washington on the island had a Grizzly or two, I wonder where they ended up?

diamondtguy

Occupation
I was hoping I had the lines crossed as well....I am going to start ripping the booster out tomorrow after work...There are still 3 trucks I have not found yet.Hopefully they are hiding somewhere...
Thanks...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Pulled the hydro booster out today.I tore it all apart and found nothing wrong other than some wear marks on the spool valve.My digital calipers say it has aprox .0015 clearance to the bore.I dont have a bore gauge tho to check its length and out of round.More head scratching...Going to check the pressure on the pump next.We have calibrated/certified gauges at work.Time to start at ground zero......

diamondtguy

Occupation
Borrowed a very nice calibrated gauge from work tonight and did a dead head test on the p/s pump.Can Craft said I should have around 1250 lbs of pressure.My new pump has 1350 lbs..I can rule the pump out..I am going to try and dead head the box side of the hydro boost and see what the pressure loss is.....Either way looks like the hydro booster is the problem...

OK...just dead headed the booster and it had fluid coming out of the return line.Booster was sitting on my fender so no pedal was attached..I have always had problems with air in the system and creamy fluid...It has enjoyed puking the fluid out on numerous occasions...
My first thought is the pressure is bypassing the spool valve and getting into the return port...
Thoughts ??????

GregsHD

Occupation
Maybe an internal crack? Or something wrong with the accumulator charge valve (usually called a two way valve) ?

Where did you buy the booster? Not sure where I would even get Cardone brand, Lordco??

diamondtguy

Occupation
Lordco...I had them fedex it in from the east coast.I am currently trying to find a brand new one I can adapt to the truck...

GregsHD

Occupation
I've had nothing but problems with Lordco up here, they're the only parts store open on Sunday which just bit me again last Sunday! Decided to wait two days and got better quality and the correct parts for half the price they wanted. That was the last straw, never again!

That booster might be the same as an early to mid 80's GM truck with a 6.2 diesel? The booster in my 97 Cummins looks like the same unit also, may have different fittings or push rods? I know you'll have no problem adapting one..

Excited to hear the results, it's sure to bring a big smile to your face when all is correct!

diamondtguy

Occupation
The original application for my booster was mid 70's Lincoln's and T-birds...I found a company in the states that make brand new ones.I can get a universal one that just has a flat plate mount which is exactly what I want.They have a very good web site and they give you all the dimensions and facts.I will have to change my master to a Chevy 1 ton style but that's ok as my master is weeping out of the rear seal..
There is 2 different push rod lengths(from booster to m/c) which I didn't know and they have pictures on how to ID which one you have..I have the early style.Booster also comes with #6AN fittings which is also what I have...Should be a straight forward conversion.I just have to deal with the rod to the pedal length but I can handle that....It will be interesting the next time I road test it....

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Sounds like your getting close to be able to tour around this summer.....if we get any...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Well..truck is going to sit for the next 6-8 weeks while I wait for my new booster..They build them as ordered so I have to wait...On the bright side I get a brand new booster as apposed to a wrecker one or a jobber rebuild...I will wait.
Today I decided to get back to work on the last nasty,ugly job..Trying to peel off the remainder of the rubber coating in the box.Some of it has been pushed off by rest and some is still glued down..Nothing including heat seems to release it...I have to scrape and chisel it off.It will take a while.
Running boards were coated as well but rust had released most of it and I pulled it all off by hand.No such luck with the box.

grizzly 002 (121).JPG grizzly 003 (102).JPG grizzly 004 (81).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
I have heard many times of a blue truck in Sayward.I also know about the blue truck in Campbell river..I have been thinking it was two different trucks but it is not..It is Art's truck often seen in Campbell River but he lives in Sayward.It is a one owner truck and it is truck #7......I have corrected my notes..
truck#7.jpg