• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Only issue I've heard of with the Amsteel is abrasion, doesn't like to be rubbed against anything.

Use the winch on my truck for pulling leaners & snags, can't always get a clean shot.

Stayed away from the Amsteel just for that reason.

Ed

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I use synthetic rope on all my ATV's. I've had no issues with abrasion and I still kept the roller fairleads on with no issue.

I find it just as good as cable, safer to handle and less recoil if it ever did snap. But what I do find is if you keep it spooled tight on the drum it....not sure how to describe it.....but it won't stay nice round......it will take a triangular shape. Not a big deal, but just doesn't spool up as neat as cable.

And in winter if you get it wet, a few times I had really pull on it to get it out. It froze up a bit.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Thanks for all the input..I will probably leave it steel for now and see how much I actually use it..I will do some research on the synthetic rope in the mean time....

diamondtguy

Occupation
Not too bad weather today so I pulled the truck out and adjusted the wiper arms and fit the new/proper blades.I ended up buying Marinco wiper blades.They are the people that made the arms and the wiper motors.I have to redo the washer nozzles.The not so thought out system they had will no longer work.It is a minor problem but windshield washers are important here.
Sun came out and the roads dried out so I took it for a drive up and down my street a few times.Mary wanted to go for a ride so off I went on a long drive around the country roads.Ended up putting about 30 miles on it.I had it out on the highway for a bit....
As normal I have to recenter the steering wheel and need to check my toe in.
Tach not reading correct but all other gauges working fine.Temp was a constant 180deg.Tach is a crank trigger.Air gap may be wide.

Steering is slowly bleeding the last of the air out.
Brakes work vey well as does the exhaust brake..
Gear shifting is tight and notchy but it is a new trans and will need some time.
Engine makes lots of power.Pulls very hard in third gear.EGT's are good and at one point on a hill I had 30 pounds of boost.
Very happy I pulled the 4.10's out of it.Even the 3.7's feel like a little much.Starting out in 2nd is not a problem.
No leaks just the smell of some paint burning...
Everthing went well and yes lots of people looking and a few thumbs up from other truck drivers.
If I have time I will make some adjustments tomorrow and take it back out.I have rounded up my Go Pro camera stuff and will take a video.
It was a good day for both of us...

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
That is awesome!!
Reading this I couldn't help but feel excitement, congratulations!

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Right on Diamondtguy! Looking forward to seeing some pics of it out on the road.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I am sure it has your name on Cory. Your the man with the know how, and build it right.

diamondtguy

Occupation
I have a pic of the truck on Gibsons so yes I know about it..The box was on C/L a few years ago and I am sure it used to be a dually and was a RCMP truck in Alberta.If it is that truck it was converted to 4wd by Grizzly in the 90's.I thought the truck was on a Ford 4x4 chassis and had a 7.3 in it but I am still missing 3 trucks so I am not positive.I have asked for more pictures..
Truck is registered as a 1990 so it has to be a early one.
If it is the truck I think it is I have a write up on after it was all rebuilt and refit...

diamondtguy

Occupation
I just looked at my pics and two of the trucks managed to get the same style of box...
It is starting to look like that is truck #3 which was originally gray..One of my missing trucks.It has the early style grill and is a 1990.The other truck that had the same box has the later grill with all the mapleleafs in it...
So the Alberta truck is still missing...

diamondtguy

Occupation
The add for the truck is wrong...It apparently has a Ford 7.3 (he said it was a power stroke) auto in it....Back to my original gut feeling..I have sent him some pics to try and determine some info on this truck...

diamondtguy

Occupation
I am not dealing with the owner.It is one of his friends.Current engine is a 7.3 turbo Ford.Dont know if its a IDI or a powerstroke.None the less they are good engines.
He thinks the truck was converted about 4 years ago to the Ford with a auto and thinks it was a original Cummins truck..
That's enough of this for me tonight...

diamondtguy

Occupation
The most info I have found on Grizzly Trucks is in my thread here.There is some internet stuff but for the most part it is incorrect and just plain wrong.I bought my truck from Jean who is Geoff Bucks widow.She was there the whole time as far as I know and she has the Grizzly archives.I will at one point meet up with her and go through it all...
As with all story's there is "bad" stuff..I know some of it but I will never post it.As Hank said to me "It is not relevant anymore" and It has nothing to do with my reason for starting this thread..
I still have some people/friends to track down and talk to but I will only post relevant info...
The North Vancouver Historical Society has a little blurp stating Jeff Hardbottle posted info but I have yet to find it.I knew Jeff as we both have/had Diamond T's.Jeff is no longer with us...

So to answer your question.I would say no...Unless Jean and/or Geoffs partner come forward I think we will just have to wait and gather what info we can.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Find a third and you can have Papa bear, Mama bear and Baby bear. With an early 60's Mustang, the right color you can have Goldilocks also.

Never can have too much iron. At least that is what I tell others.

diamondtguy

Occupation
I asked for more pics of the Gibson's truck but have yet to get any....Jumbo...you are right I can never have too much but I am out of good/dry storage areas and hate stuff sitting out in the elements year round..

Didn't have time to roadtest the truck today but I did yank the steering wheel and recenter it.I also aired up all the tires to the correct pressure and fixed the loose left side mirror.I checked the air gap on the crank trigger tach and it was well with in specs.I cleaned the paint of the 4 poles in case that was the problem.I will fore sure have the truck out tomorrow....