• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

grizzly screening pit run aggregate other dirt down to one inch size

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Anyone use a grizzly to screen gravel down to one inch size?
Does it work through your experience or what do you think would happen?

Contemplating using a grizzly, with movable grizzly bar spacing;
to try screening out over size rock down to a one inch size product, in a single pass.

Like a screen box but with stationary grizzly bars at steep 40 degree angle slope;
instead of a vibrating screen sorting the aggregate.

What problems did you have; or you think would happen.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
If I understand you correctly....... you will run many yards of material to get one yard of finished product.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
at one inch the bars are too close, and the material will simply slide off the grizzly to the ground, unless the material you are running is very dry and sandy.

rdr99

No it will not work. Unless your pit run material is 90% 1" minus. The grizzly bars will just plug up and be most frustrating.

mitch504

I have done a similar thing just to clean up 10 yards of material. It really doesn't work, I set the grizzly horizontal and stirred the material around with a hoe bucket, then flipped the grizzly over to dump the oversize.

What I have seen work is to set a steep grizzly with 6" wide openings on a dump bed to shed stumps while loading, but even that is a PITA.

JDOFMEMI

I will likely not work well at all, especially in a single pass. The smaller you are trying to separate the material, the more passes you will need. A grizzly works OK for taking the oversize material off, say 6" or so. Anything smaller and you are asking for trouble.

The other big problem trying to get small is the deflection in the bars. It allows oversize through in the center, and leads to plugging in a very short time, like the first bucket or two.

There is a reason folks use a vibratory screen for such work, and it is not because they like to spend more money.

squidrig

Occupation
cranberry grower
1 inch is way to tight.. Agreed! However i made a small grizzly screener out of an old flatbed using no. 5 rebar spaced about 2 1/2 inches and can load with a skid steer makes real nice road base material out of snot but im only talking about making 20 yards per hour and dry material is a must also grandpa is the guru here period