• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Greasing

dsgsr

Occupation
Anything I can make $$ at.
I've got a friend that doesn't understand about "not putting grease on things like pull pins". I guess I don't know how to explain what I'm talking about, but here goes. I've got a manual quick detach coupler on my Takeuchi track hoe, It's a Wain-Roy style. There is a 2 inch pin that holds the bucket on and he thinks I should put grease on it. I'm telling him that putting grease on a pin that just stays in place and does not pivot will attract dirt and make it harder to pull and replace. I also showed him the pivot balls on the 3pt hitch of my tractor and told him I just add lite oil every 50 hours or so. He thinks I should grease them.

Am I wrong? How to I explain to him the reasoning behind my argument?

DaveG

Tags

As far as I'm concerned you're right on the money with your reasoning. Heavy grease on that pin would be a nightmare, the dirt that would stick to it and make it hard to remove and will also work as a grinding compound. When I had a Wain Roy hitch on a machine if you got it in the right position the pin word just about fall out but every now and then I'd hit it with some WD40 or PB Blaster if it was a little sticky.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Just tell him that greaseable pins are 'actually' designed to take grease and not let dirt mix in the grease which will as Tags put it turn into a grinding compound... whereas holding pins/etc... that are not designed to be greased will attract dirt/sand and not to mention get all over anyone handling them :) Of course there are always people that figure grease goes on everything under the sun and more is better. ;-)

dsgsr

Occupation
Anything I can make $$ at.
Just tell him that greaseable pins are 'actually' designed to take grease and not let dirt mix in the grease which will as Tags put it turn into a grinding compound... whereas holding pins/etc... that are not designed to be greased will attract dirt/sand and not to mention get all over anyone handling them :) Of course there are always people that figure grease goes on everything under the sun and more is better. ;-)

Thanks for the replies. This is what I've tried to explain. He has worked around mechanical stuff for yrs. but in a different world (Marine, Boats, etc.) not our type of heavy equipment. So he feels grease should be everywhere.