1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Grease Zerts?

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Melton74959, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Melton74959

Melton74959 Member

There are no grease zerts on my 1992 d4c series ii and the only place that looks like it could have one doesn't have any threads.

The part book shows one zert on the angle cyclinder but nowhere else.

Has anyone else noticed this? 20200614_125102.jpg 20200614_125118.jpg 20200614_125108.jpg

2. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    Check the end of the pins ,sometimes they get filled up with grease and dirt.

3. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

It's a grease zerk not a zert but the 1st pic. is not for a grease fitting. It was used to center the cylinder when machining the rod. If you ever need the cylinder polished or repaired it would be used again when the rod was put in a lathe. The brochure mentions reduced number of lubrication points. What I would do is pull the pins out and coat the bore and pins with spray on dry graphite. It's goes on liquid but dries in a few seconds and won't collect dust and dirt. You can check the pins and bushings at the same time and replace as required.

https://erbequipment.com/Aggregate/media/Erb-Equipment/Used Equipment Specs/372.pdf

4. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

My d5c had none either. I believe the thought was no grease to attract dirt so as to be creating a grinding compound.

5. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Well-Known Member

It makes sense, avoiding dust / dirt collection, but I'm partial to greasing. I would replace the pins (if/when they need serviced) with pins that have a internal bore and cross drilling. You could machine the old pins if you have access to some machines. Not a fan of lube for life components. U-Joints for instance. Who ever thought it was a good idea to remove the zerks???

6. InsleyGuy

InsleyGuy Well-Known Member

This has been discussed before. Those machines had "oil impregnated" bushings. No seals, no grease fittings.

7. nicky 68a

nicky 68a Senior Member

Interesting thread.
    I have a D9T with no grease nipples in the verry bottom swing pin that the ripper frame pivots on.
    I’ve searched high and low,but nothing.
    My D8 ripping tractors both have grease nipples on those pins.
    Almost zero WiFi here,so can’t look at the parts book online.
    Will have to make time to buy an old fashioned parts book

8. ih100

ih100 Senior Member

First machine I operated with a 6-way was a hi-track 5, it had no grease points on the frame.