• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grease Selection

JTWAT

For me, it's a Calcium Complex for high speed bearings and a 5% moly for low speed, high load applications. Both are synthetic.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I run on a pretty hard 'if it can't run in mystik JT-6 that's a design problem' philosophy. We feed that to anything we can.

We use it on all the motors we get in for bearings too because an extensive field study has shown you're average operations monkey with a gun isn't gonna put Mobile Polyrex EM in it anyway lol, give them their motor back and tell them to use the grease that looks like strawberry jam.

GEORGIOS198217

It is a common question for someone to ask what the correct grease is for a particular application.
Of course there's no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to grease.
Hands up, how many people can say that they can look at a manufacturer's data sheet and compare one product to another on the basis of the specification as it's writ on the paper..?

Here's a crib sheet "seven tests for selecting the right grease" that tries to take a lot of the mystery out of the process.
Mr nige why I can’t open this?

GEORGIOS198217

I open it but is very difficult for me to understand all this. Can someone help me to buy the exactly correct grease for my machine? I have a cat grader h series. I don’t mind to use two type of grease or everything is needed

blitz138

It is a common question for someone to ask what the correct grease is for a particular application.
Of course there's no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to grease.
Hands up, how many people can say that they can look at a manufacturer's data sheet and compare one product to another on the basis of the specification as it's writ on the paper..?

Here's a crib sheet "seven tests for selecting the right grease" that tries to take a lot of the mystery out of the process.
Great paper Nige! Where are you working these days?

IceHole

I have a hard time picking grease and it's part of my job!

The worst is when I get calls asking what to use on equipment that costs more than I'll likely earn in my lifetime.
I don't want to be the scapegoat on that!

"Can you get me a spec, or even the manual"...

We don't have one.

"What were you using?"

Dunno, the mechanic/oiler, etc that took care of it quit months ago.

Great.

JAJ

Occupation
Owner operator of small fleet
Doing bits & bobs, "busman's holidays" here & there. I guess I'm semi-retired now.
Trying to stay out of trouble and failing miserably......
If you run out of things to do you can always come and visit me! We live in the bush… and not many people around to see you, so pretty hard to get in trouble here LOL.

Very good thread too, thank you!!!!