1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Grease Selection

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by Nige, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    If you want to stay with a 5% moly all you need to do is find one with a lower NLGI Number. I assume you're using a grease that is NLGI #2. You could go to a #1, a zero, double zero, or even a triple zero. A lot depends on whether the grease is manually applied or run through an autolube system. So long as the greases come from the same family they will be 100% compatible, the only things that will noticeably change is that the 4-ball weld test number will come down a bit, and the weld scar number will go up.

John C. likes this.
  2. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

3. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I like grease that's slick. If it's not greased on time every time the type and brand doesn't matter.

John C., Tugger2 and Shimmy1 like this.
  4. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

When it comes to trucks, that is very true. However, on heavy equipment, I do not believe that you will get the same hours out of a lithium chassis grease as you would with moly, even if you had an auto-greaser.

5. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    We don't use lithium base grease. But all the U-joints for the past four years on class eight have been grease-less warranted for 450,000 miles.

6. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

What kind of grease do you use?

7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    checking to see if you folks are on your toes. nlg #2

8. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Yeah, but what base? Poly, calcium, aluminum, what?

9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Sorry I didn't put my lab coat on to check that.

10. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Ah, so it probably is Lithium

Truck Shop likes this.
  11. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

When it gets down to 0 any grease will work for me cause I'm not firing any machine up. A good friend gave me a new Milwaukee 18 volt grease gun for Christmas, sure makes greasing lots easier. I tend to do a better job since I have it.

12. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

I trust you guys, but I'm having trouble seeing it. I don't plan on using my loader daily, but is it really that hard to use a pistol grip gun? Won't it be good exercise?

What am I missing?

I can see how if you had to grease 10 pieces of equipment, but I just have one backhoe that I will probably use once a month.

Volvomad likes this.
  13. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

You have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure this out!!!

Funny thing is that everyone I know who owns a Kubota or Deere farm tractor never talks about grease. I'm guessing that's why these tractors don't last.

If you get the piece of equipment used, how do you know what grease was used so you don't mix?

14. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Don't worry about that so much. Just grease more frequently the first week or so, wash it up to get rid of the mess and you'll be good to go.

ridenby, Tones and Tinkerer like this.
  15. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Pump enough in to flush out the old crap.

ridenby and Tones like this.
  16. zeroo

zeroo Charter Member

plumbing contractor
    I use Schaffer 238 and suffer through its nasty stringyness. It’s the worst. But it is computable with lithium complex so I’m not stuck like if I used polyurea. I tested it with polyurea and the poly lost its base oil. I tested it with the green lucus.

17. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    Pretty pink or red for bearings, ujoints and sticky black bear shat for bushings, pins suspension parts and disk bearings. I dont really deal with much new and super extreme so the bear shat comes from Mystic 3% moly. Its a dolar a tube more and have to have extra guns. If I was hobby or part timer wouldnt fuss, would use chassis and bearing in it all and simply give it a pump on occasion.
    We were out and got some general, I dont think it hung in the disk like the moly does. Same for kingpins and ball joints.

18. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    With the Chemtool factory burning down last week in Rockton, stock up on your favorite flavors. Especially bulk polyurea.
    Experiencing shortages in my region.
    For example, Petro Alaska has shifted all resources just to supply Fort Knox mine.

19. rockfarm

rockfarm Member

Tried certified Extreme Permalube. Was on a excavator and it could not take the heavy load at all. Tried Paragon 3000 with dropping point of 640 F and 100 timkin load . It worked way better. By the way the sales guy selling the Certified told us the Timkin load did not really matter. Is that true? I'm not so sure myself as his grease did not have a Timkin load rating and it failed miserably compared to the Paragon 3000.

James Sorochan likes this.
  20. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    I suggest that you take a look at Post #1 on Page 1.