1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Grease Selection

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by Nige, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Nige

Nige Senior Member

It is a common question for someone to ask what the correct grease is for a particular application.
    Of course there's no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to grease.
    Hands up, how many people can say that they can look at a manufacturer's data sheet and compare one product to another on the basis of the specification as it's writ on the paper..?

Here's a crib sheet "seven tests for selecting the right grease" that tries to take a lot of the mystery out of the process.

Attached Files:

DMiller and Wytruckwrench like this.
  2. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    "Raises hand"

DMiller and Wytruckwrench like this.
  3. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    The biggest problem with grease is people not using it!

4. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    John it's a fireable offense in my company.:cool:

DMiller, 92U 3406, Tinkerer and 4 others like this.
  5. nicky 68a

nicky 68a Senior Member

Well,I’ve tried to figure out all that script,but it’s well beyond my brain capacity

DMiller likes this.
  6. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

personally, i have 5 grease guns all with different grease for various applications. some are special grease that only get used occasionally but its nice to have them

DMiller and nicky 68a like this.
  7. bigrich954rr

bigrich954rr Well-Known Member

This keeping fresh cheap grease In the joints or parts versus using the best grease and only greasing every once in a while the cheap grease parts last way longer.

With that being said I still believe in using a good grease and greasing often the more worn the part is the shorter my greasing Intervals becomes because there’s a bigger chance of dirt getting in and the grease being pushed out

DMiller likes this.
  8. BeaudesertSand

BeaudesertSand Active Member

Plant Operator
    I bought a Milwaukee 18 volt cordless grease gun in 2014. My brother remarked that ALL grease guns are cordless...

However it's just been one of the greatest things I've ever bought. My old plant had 100 or so grease points all up, life was just so much easier once I got that thing and also, started a campaign to make the plant 99% greaseable while it was running.

We went from replacing a tail drum bearing somewhere every 2 weeks to not changing one for several months.

Where I work now only has grease guns and cartridges no bulk grease ( suits me, it's always such a mess and the drum is ALWAYS!!! empty when i get to it.

I grease ALL the points on my loader every day. Well Except Saturday if I work it as the machine barely runs 3 hours.

One squeak does damage. Last place I worked at I said to the sales loader guy on the 2 way: Brett can you hear that pin??

Yeah it's okay... No it isn't!!!

I said a humpback whale is going to swim up the creek and want to have relations with that loader it's squeaking so loud.

Oh and after 6 years and countless boxes of grease through my gun it's still in perfect condition. I look after it and never let it out of my sight if it's not in my van...

DMiller likes this.
  9. .RC.

.RC. Well-Known Member

I bought a Ryobi cordless grease gun. It makes greasing enjoyable.

BeaudesertSand and DMiller like this.
  10. BeaudesertSand

BeaudesertSand Active Member

Plant Operator
    I can't count the number people who bought a cordless grease gun after seeing mine. it's several.

DMiller likes this.
  11. bigrich954rr

bigrich954rr Well-Known Member

Same I have the m18 Milwaukee grease gun that thing is priceless

BeaudesertSand and DMiller like this.
  12. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Professional Wrench Spinner
    My dad was always on the ball with greasing. His truck got greased every weekend regardless if he worked it 3 days or 5 days. Of course it got hit top to bottom with the hot water pressure washer Friday night regardless. Definitely needed greasing after that!

Funny thing was, he never had any premature failures, breakdowns etc. When you're under the truck, greasing and thoroughly inspecting stuff every weekend you tend to catch issues long before they become problems.

DB2, Nige, DMiller and 1 other person like this.
  13. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    One of the benefits of daley greasing is equipment gets inspected daley.

Nige and DMiller like this.
  14. dixon700

dixon700 Well-Known Member

heavy truck mechanic
    I use mobile delvac extreme grease in about everything. o_O now I did just buy JD corn head grease a #0 grease for the track system on my newly acquired JD 450 dozer.