• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grease Gun Tips

mitch504

Mine has a black button on top to let the air out of the barrel. That must be a stout valve to stand the pressure. That nut AvE on youtube got 12,000 psi out of his.

walkerv

I like the lock n lube also on equipment I gave it a shot on dump trucks and ditched it for a normal coupler to many zerks in weird spots .

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I did get the Lock n Lube tip, the long version as some of our fittings are behind guards. It's working out very well with the Milwaukee power greaser but there are about 3 fittings I have to get with the pump gun, I just can't get a good angle with the new tip. All in all I'm very pleased with it. I've learned to give the tip just a little wiggle after I've locked it in place to really seat it tight and I have no blowby. Thanks for the "tip"!!

Flat Thunder Channel

I physical threw my pistol grease gun in the garbage on my last attempt to use it. It never worked correctly and was really peeving me off. I hope to purchase a new lock n lube manual grease gun. You have to shell out $150 to get the USA made version. The heavy price makes me want to entertain cordless powered units. Any pro's / cons on the DeWalt vs Milwaukee cordless units with a lock n lube coupler?

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I have a Milwaukee absolutely love it. But I have other Milwaukee tools so I always have a charged battery. Both are probably just as good, go with the one you already have batteries for.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I had previously used 18V DeWalt tools at work but discovered the Milwaukee M12 tools last year and have been switching to them. They perform every bit as well as the DeWalts do and with a longer battery life. Only down side is they don't give you any warning other than the digital fuel gauge that the battery is low, you get full performance from full charge to empty and then it just stops. Maybe that's not a down side after all. With a spare battery it doesn't matter much. I went with the Milwaukee grease gun for this reason and bought one for myself as well.

Flat Thunder Channel

I agree one of the most annoying part of my cordless tools is the variety of power packs and chargers. I have mostly 18v Dewalt Tools. However last year I acquired a 12 volt Milwaukee cordless ratchet. I will always have the 18v dewalt's around. I think they are great tools, but I am not opposed to adding more 12v milwaukee's to the mix. So either power brand tool works for me if it will accept 18v dewalt's or m12 batteries. It sounds like either brand works well. Now it is just a matter of finding a good deal. Thanks for the input! :)

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I used to be yellow for cordless tools but then I saw the light. Red. Milwaukee. I have their grease gun with the lock N Lube tip, works great for 99% of my applications. In the #2 speed position it will blow through almost any grease fitting.

Flat Thunder Channel

I received a gift card for my birthday and ordered a new M12 Milwaukee grease gun. I also ordered a lock n lube coupling for it. I will provide a update on my first impressions after I get a chance to operate it. I am really excited to have a functioning grease gun I can operate without all the headaches my old unit provided.

On the battle of red versus yellow: I honestly would have preferred a 18v Dewalt versus the Milwaukee counterpart. The majority of my tools are 18v nicad and I would prefer to stick with NiCad batteries until all my tools need replaced. I still have and use my first 18V cordless drill from circa 2004. It still works great! One of its first uses entailed drilling out 3/8" steel bolts in an exhaust flange. The housing of the tool got so hot I could not hold the unit anymore. Ever since that first use i get a little wiff of burnt electrical smell, but it has never let me down. I bought a second backup tool kit around 2013-2014. Supposedly the same tools, but they don't feel quite as stout as the original. Long story short I could not find a new 18V NiCad grease gun for sale. They are discontinued and everyone is switching to different lithium style batteries.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
FWIW One of my customers has a large assortment of dewalt cordless tools. He has both 18V and 20V . I noticed awhile back that he had some adapters so he could use 20V lithium batteries on his 18V tools.

colson04

I have one of those adapters. Works well, let's me keep using my old 18volt drill and sawzall. I don't know if battery life is comparable though, I never run the old tools long enough to kill a battery in one of them.