• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grass silage in Ireland

td25c

Pretty cool vidio Grass Hopper.Looks like a top notch operation:thumbsup I noticed hydraulic cylinders on the sides of the rake on the Volvol loader .I couldent tell from the vidio what they are for.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
yup ! pretty cool video, self propelled is deffinatly getting to be the way to go these days:D

I noticed it seems that the roads there where you are driving seem pretty narrow for the size of equipment you are running, do you have much trouble with drivers in other vehicles cutting you off? or in general not taking into consideration the difficulty of operating the equipment through town?

All in all I agree top notch operation! :D

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
The Rams are for folding the buckrake (as its called) up for transport, a few of my customers have similair rakes on there volvo loaders i think 16' when open!

Grass Hopper

Pretty cool vidio Grass Hopper.Looks like a top notch operation:thumbsup I noticed hydraulic cylinders on the sides of the rake on the Volvol loader .I couldent tell from the vidio what they are for.

As CTS explained the rake folds to within the machines width for transport.
The rake in the video is a 12ft but 14ft are the most common size in Ireland with a few choosing the massive 16ft but very few loaders can handle it when dealing with wet grass.

Grass Hopper

yup ! pretty cool video, self propelled is deffinatly getting to be the way to go these days:D

I noticed it seems that the roads there where you are driving seem pretty narrow for the size of equipment you are running, do you have much trouble with drivers in other vehicles cutting you off? or in general not taking into consideration the difficulty of operating the equipment through town?

All in all I agree top notch operation! :D

The roads are a constant struggle here when moving equipment but to be fair when on the really narrow country roads the motorists we meet expect to encounter large machinery during the summer and for the most part are very accomodating but when on the larger national roads quite often we meet people who think machines should never leave the field :rolleyes:

Grass Hopper

The Rams are for folding the buckrake (as its called) up for transport, a few of my customers have similair rakes on there volvo loaders i think 16' when open!

I take it you work for POD??

Are you based in Dublin or Cork or is there a Galway depot

td25c

The Volvo loader is pretty agile in tight quarters ,I also got to see the folding fork setup in the last vidio.Do you let the hay cure very long after It's cut or do you go in with the chopper rite behind the mower?

Grass Hopper

Unfortunetly changeable weather means the chopper is never more than a day behind the mower and very often they are working in the same field.
Not great for silage quality but sometimes getting it mowed down when its dry is as good as it gets in rainy Ireland

td25c

Yup,we sure cant controll the weather Grass Hopper.Our weather & tempature is allot different in my area.The reason I was asking about curing time is that
Back in the mid 1950's Allis-Chalmers offerd a direct cut forage chopper.My Grandfather had one and they would pile it up in a trench silo similiar to what you fellers are doing,But according to my dad The direct cut method was somwhat of a disaster in our case.It was to wet & ended up with more spoilage on top then we like to see.I dident know if you ever had any trouble like that.Do you cover the pile with anything when finnished?

Grass Hopper

The pile or pit as we call it is covered in a heavy gauge sheet of polythene,sometimes 2 sheets to keep it airtight,then old car/truck tyres are put on top both to compress the top layer of silage and anchor the plastic from high winds

Grass Hopper

Grass Hopper, Are these custom operators as opposed to farmer owned equipment?

Yes all custom operators,farmers tend to run trailed choppers with some larger operators running older self propelled units,typically 10years+ old.
A good acreage for larger contracting grass silage crews is 4-5000 acres/year.
The operators in both videos above would be cutting approx 2,500acres each per year

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
been watching with some amazement at the tight quarters you guys get to work in..... and can clearly see now why you need to fold up the buck rake.
anyhow, good post indeed! :D

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
I take it you work for POD??

Are you based in Dublin or Cork or is there a Galway depot

I used to work for POD, in there Portadown depot up here in the north, and yea they have a depot near Galway aswell, Im out on my own now still work on a good few Volvo, aswell as all others!

Your right the boy that i do work for have 14' buckrakes not the 16' ones!

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Excellent video The harvesting guys here run a very simaliar operation and gets a few guys from Ireland to help him