• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grapples, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

HilltopNH

IMG_0557.JPG
This Solesbee's root grapple came with the LX665 when I bought it in 2013. I use it for tree work mostly but it has seen a decent amount out rough grading work in rocky soil. Other than the usual paint wear it's in perfect stuctual condition. The tines have't move at all and the pivot pins are still pretty tight.

Bloody Knuckles

I took a look at those and they're running about $3,450 with a 2 year warranty. Out of Winston Ga. Shipping costs puts it out of my budget. Looks like one of the better built ones though. Prices are nuts right now, even on the used ones.

JPSouth

I bought a Prime 72" root/rake grapple a few years ago, had an ongoing job moving a lot of loose brush. It will definitely grub smaller diameter stuff out, and as I work in the rocks a lot the replaceable teeth are a plus. Got a lot of weight to it, nothing there will bend unless a guy got pretty ignorant with what he was doing. Only complaint I have is the cylinders occasionally go over center just a bit and the clam won't close..have to curl it forward, hook the front of the tines and force it back into position. It happens frequently if you're backdragging with the tines. I've got a couple stops made, gonna weld those on this winter. Other than that, it's a stout design and I've been happy with it. IMG_0935.JPG IMG_1068.JPG

After owning this one awhile, I think the heavier rock buckets with aggressive teeth and dual clamps are better for general use. They won't pick up quite as much as the big clam, but will handle oddball loads, rocks and logs better. I'd stick with a design that allows the sides to be unbolted and removed.

Bloody Knuckles

I wanted to thank all of you for you input on a grapple. I found a used 66" Bobcat root grapple in Kansas and purchased it a few days ago. It had been stored inside and it's in very good shape. Just has some paint worn off the bottom / tips of the tines. Saved a bit from buying new and I think it'll work fine for what I'm doing. Thanks again.
John
Bobcat 66 inch root grapple 1.jpg

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
That will work great. It is just like the one I have used for almost 11 years. I have piled mountains of trees and brush with our Bobcat grapple.
Jeff

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Just bought a Virnig Skeleton Rock Grapple with Separate Clams. It is a model V50 Series. Did one big job with it. The Hyd. Cylinders are very well built with guarding. I was shearing 3 inch poplars off at the ground on a minus 10 Celcius morning with no problem. The clams worked very good. The unit had very good welding compared to an other unit I owned before.They sell a V60 series unit that is made even heavier duty.
So far very pleased.
Simon C