• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

grapple buckets: rock vs root and skid steer size

jsinpa

So I'm in the market looking for a grapple as I have some land clearing to do at my friends house. Basically, I'll be clearing out the brush: jagger bushes, leaves, etc and also take out trees that are down along with some dead ones that need dropped. Plus, I want to be able to use it on other applications, like demolition or what not. Just look for the most versatile one for my needs.

I've researched and looked at so many, my question is, which out of these two grapples I've found, which would be more suited for what I am doing. The rock grapple has replaceable teeth plus the jaw opening is greater and tines are spaced at 4 7/8" apart. My thought was with the teeth The root grapple has the curve to it with the serrated end and the tine spacing at like 8 7/8" and opening at 39"...The gentleman told me the rake is the more popular model of the two. I've also been told its better to go with the two separated claws verses one that runs the full length because of picking odd shaped items..They both retail for the same price at $2400 plus shipping...And I was told the steel is 572 steel, which I think the guy meant a572 whom I was talking too.

Also, I was told by one manufacturer that the ROC does come into play with this stuff..meaning if the attachment weighs in at lets say 800lbs and your rated at 2000lbs, then you'd be left with being able to lift 1200lbs of logs or whatever. Is that correct?

here are the two grapples I was looking at:

http://www.solesbeesequipment.com/skid_steer_rock_grapple.php

http://www.solesbeesequipment.com/skid_steer_grapple_rakes.php

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would go with the Rake between these two. Price seems reasonable. ROC of your machine certainly plays into the equation as it does with many attachments. If you get too much rake on too small of a machine you cant lift anything.

jsinpa

ok. thanks...and reasoning for the rake? I figured having replaceable teeth would be more beneificial...but it sounds like not..the rake has a 39" opening..do you think thats plenty or should I look for another one with a larger mouth opening?

attached a couple of pics of what I have to clear out...as you can see, it will be alot of brush in between the trees and all the down trees..

land clearing 1.JPG

land clearing 2.JPG

jsinpa

KSSS...thanks on the ROC help...that is what is coming into play when I'm looking at getting another machine, the Case SR220 verses the 250 model verses the others...but you had said about adding counter weights to the 220 if I go with that model, so I think I would be good..Like you said, I don't want to be undersized on the machine...

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . jsinpa. I'm not a skiddy hand by any means but over here very few are not equipped with a "4 in 1" and I see them clearing acres of similar sized stuff we call wattle.

They seem to do okay and unless you intend to do a lot of clearing I couldn't imagine having an attachment just for stacking sticks.

Cheers.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have about the same opening distance on a Quick Attach grapple that I have and seldom is the opening too small. The benefit of having the dual independent grapples is worth it. I doubt you could ever wear out the teeth, I would not be concerned about that.

http://www.quickattach.com/shop-by-department/skid-steers/grapples/products/saber-tine/

This is the grapple that I have that use for land clearing. I bought it to handle larger trees for a specific project. I bought this one because of how HD it is and I liked the spacing of the tines. It actually works better than I would have thought for all types of clearing. I am not advocating this for what your doing, just as another idea of what is out there.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I went with the Bobcat "industrial grapple bucket" when I bought. I had previously used a homemade brush rake (much like one would put on a dozer).

I couldn't stand the open back on it for moving brush, always had a stick poking back through trying to hit the machine (or me).

FWIW, I added bucket teeth on mine so I could "rake" with it, also makes getting under logs easier. It's also nice to be able to use it as a bucket for leveling out dirt or ruts without having to change attachments.

Ed

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I have the root grapple or rake on my 287B and it works great for pulling out trees and cleaning up deadfall. The curved up teeth in the front work better for picking up trees and for getting under roots to pop them out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have a Bobcat grapple, the one with tines and not a solid bottom. Purchased this grapple initially for construction site clean-up but use it now for demo. I wanted a grapple that would allow some dirt to be able to fall through. If I were to purchase another grapple, I would go with the one that has replaceable teeth but that's my application. The tines on my grapple are worn on the bottom from scraping across the ground, asphalt and concrete, in the future I will need to replace them or go with another grapple that has replaceable teeth.

However I don't clear much with my skid as we use the 953 or 321 for clearing jobs. When I have used the grapple to clear small areas, I don't like it. It's great for raking and stacking debris but not so good for clearing - I prefer a bucket as the grapple tines get in the way but that's my $.02.

Also the two separate grapple clamps are far superior to the one as it allows you to grasp different sized debris - there is always different sized debris.:D

k45

I have a grapple similar to the grapple rake you posted. It does not work well for me. With the tines curved up at the end, I have to tilt is all the way down to pick up anything. That limits me to one or two logs/trees/whatever at a time. I can't go along and rake stuff up and close on it. I think the flat tines would be better. If I were to buy again, I would strongly consider one of the clamshell grapples where the tines are almost vertical. But without ever using one, that might not work as expected either.

With the grapple I have, unless I have it dropped down all the way, it tends to push stuff away rather than picking it up.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Mobiltech...what brand is yours? did you see the link to the one I looked at? your opinions on that one?

Mine is a Stout that I picked up new at an auction. It is average in build strength not real heavy duty but I have pushed it pretty hard with the 287 and never had a problem. I only paid $1500 for it and Ive seen them go for less.

As k45 says you have to run the rake tilted over to pick things up but that's why it rakes because you just run with the tines in the ground a bit and pull up anything near the surface. The wide tine spacing lets the dirt go right through. If you tried to do that with a rock grapple the tines would plug up with dirt immediately and it acts like a solid bucket. I have a rock bucket and it wont rake very well. I guess it depends on how deep you want to rake.
Heres one like it

http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?131204/H4363/5

jsinpa

Ok, so what's the purpose of the curve on the end then? From what some of the different manufacturers were saying that I talked to, it actually helps with getting underneath stuff more. And K45, you are correct, I thought the whole purpose with the rake was to get the tines down in the ground some to "rake" or pull up on the roots etc. I saw a video demonstration online on one where they said the tines could go in as much as like 2'...which I thought was a little crazy to go that deep with a rake. I figured if your down in the dirt, like 6" at most, that is plenty...

K45, that was my initial thought also was the one with the replaceable teeth..but then they also told me with the rake style one, the curl is a little bit better verses that rock one...plus as Mobiltech was saying about tine spacing, the rake is at 8 7/8" verses the 6" spacing which from what everyone is saying, does help with letting dirt threw..

I think I did see that one, Mobiltech...I'll have to check it out again..The price is nice on that one..but knowing me, I how I tend to push the limits with stuff at times, i may be better off with a heavier duty one...but thanks for the input on yours..I will definitely look into that one...

here's the video of the one where they said the rake can dig in I think to the 2'....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZc5Be2Z7mI

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
That video was something else....looked like he got a bunch of soil in the debris by going so deep. Trying to do that in a woodlot would be an exercise in frustration, lots of roots that you won't be cutting through with a skidsteer.

When I use mine in the woods, I don't go any deeper than necessary to clean the surface, not worried about anything underground. Just cleaning up the debris, nothing more, its a woodlot.

Ed

jsinpa

Bumpsteer...Ed...That was my exact thought after I saw that video as well...Why would you go that deep, especially in the woods...I posted some pics earlier of where I have to do the work and definitely can't see going that deep. Like you said, I was just planning on cleaning the surface, maybe only going down a few inches into the ground..not to the extreme of that video though...

Josh

jsinpa

One other quick question for all of you on this subject...As far as the clearing out part, I'm basically just removing all the brush and down logs..leaving all the good trees...So if I go with the rake version, do I need to worry about pulling out all the roots in or around the trees that are staying? Or if I stay closer to the surface with the tines, will I be ok? The last thing I want to do is kill my friend's trees by tearing up the roots..

JD8875

I bought one from a dealer on ebay after shopping around for mine, The tines are all 3/4" plate, including the grapples. It was a little cheaper than what I could get locally too and much heavier. The tines on it also didn't turn up on the ends like most others. I use it for handling logs, pushing brush, moving scrap, setting rock for retaining walls, all sorts of things. I dont like it for clearing, I go back to a tooth bucket for that. I looks a lot like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-Heavy-Du...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4170bf1b7e

John

JDOFMEMI

I have a very similar one to that you are leaning towards now. I have been happy with it and it does pretty good for clearing. The lack of replaceable teeth has not been an issue for me.