1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Gradesetting

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by jusridin, Jul 14, 2014.

1. jusridin

jusridin New Member

I'm looking for instructional material on gradesetting, does anyone know where I can find a "how to book" for gradesetting?

2. Stump Knocker

Stump Knocker Well-Known Member

Retired
    GOOGLE" setting grade stakes".
    Good place to start.

STUMP KNOCKER

3. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Welcome to the Forums jusridin!:drink up

What kind of information are you looking for? Reading grade stakes or setting them? Usually the surveyors will set the layout stakes with grades and us lever pullers just read 'em and go from there.:D

4. Buckethead

Buckethead Senior Member

Operator
    Yes, the surveyors stake out the job, but in site work or road work, in the cuts someone has to transfer the grades over so you can take out the dirt the stakes are sitting on. Also if the surveyors just give you toe and top of slope, you might need to put slope stakes in.

5. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Thanks Buckethead, I understand that and have done it. The description was more for the OP to determine what kind of information they were looking for.

6. jusridin

jusridin New Member

I'm looking for both, some of the info on the stakes I can read but setting and checking grade within I'm sort of lost. I'm an apprentice with OE3 and grade checking was a hard one for me. I'm looking for instructional books I can read and try to learn from. Thanks

7. Mahesvara

Mahesvara New Member

I'm want to buy a pair of swedes or swede stands you can put lath in. Nothing comes up on google. Do swedes have another name? Are any commercially available? Usually I hear that "a buddy made them."

8. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

C- means dig this deep F- means fill this much. Not much more you need to know besides where the benchmarks are at.

9. Bulldog777

Bulldog777 Active Member

Construction Manager / ex Mechanic
    Do yourself a favour and download the CivilWorks app from the app store or search CivilWorks app on you tube or google

Highly recommend it

10. Bulldog777

Bulldog777 Active Member

11. Bulldog777

Bulldog777 Active Member

Survey Pegs.jpg

This might be of some help.

12. Willow Hawk

Willow Hawk New Member

If you are oe3 go to hall ask for blue book on grade setting best book i have found and take a class at hall