• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader transmission swap / maybe

iwork4ever

I have an old 1960, 562B Champion motor grader. Serial number is 60.562B.185.821. It has a 471 Detroit. There is a standard clutch, attached to the motor.
The problem is the transmission is missing. I believe it was a 6 speed, manual transmission. The grader has two gears shift levers, one is the standard " H " pattern, but the other is just straight forward and back, no side to side movement. I have bought a transmission, supposedly rebuilt, and had it shipped to me. I think the new transmission is an 8 speed. The transmission serial number is 72.9135.1624. Has anyone upgraded their 6 speed to an 8 speed ?? Any major problems ??
Any one have a 6 speed or even pictures of an older 6 speed ??
Any one want to trade a 6 speed for my 8 speed ??

DB2

The serial number should hold the key to what the original transmission was. If you call Jade Equipment in Alberta Canada they may be able to offer some insight. From what I remember the 6 speed was a powershift with 3 levers mounted on a tower beside the seat. This may have started with the 700 series though. The H pattern leads me to believe you have the proper set up for an 8 speed. Perhaps the other lever isn’t moving through it’s full range.
Good luck and post some pictures.

iwork4ever

Jade Equipment does not have records that go back that far. The grader is a 1960 model. It sat at the oil field company i worked for, sat in the back corner. When the company closed and the equipment was sold, I bought the old grader. It did not have any transmission in it at all. Not even sure why I bought it. Just couldn't see it sold off for scrap. So now I own it and am trying to resurrect it, sort of feels like Frankenstein. A 1960 grader, a 1972 transmission, and enough 2020 parts to make it work........ LMAO....