• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grade Tips

CraneInnovation

Occupation
Structural Engineer
Just finished my first week operating full time, been in construction for 14 years though. Loving life, doing material processing in a Komatsu 360 on stockpiles. I have quite a bit of experience in smaller machines.

I'm having a tougher time than I expected getting used to eyeballing grades below me on a bigger machine. I've tried to use reference points on the boom but we're doing production work so I can't make a science project out of it while benching down.

What tips or tricks do you use to cut a level surface, especially when you're not sure if you're starting with the machine perfectly level? I'm here to learn!

AzIron

In my experience it takes a fair bit of time to adjust depth perception on a bigger machine I also believe its fairly difficult to eyeball grade at 10 foot deep or deeper unless the ditch is 8 foot wide

I always try to use the bucket for a reference especially when. Benching knowing the length of new teeth vs worn out teeth helps when your shaving grade

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I was surprised to see built into the seat pedestal of an older John Deere backhoe, a simple level bubble. Start with your seat level. You are then better able to judge level 60 feet away.

CraneInnovation

Occupation
Structural Engineer
I looked for a level on the machine and in the computer. I might keep a small magnetic one in the cab for reference.