• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gradall 534C crowd cylinder seal

cb1

Occupation
retired military
Hello,

We have a Gradall 534C which has sprung a seal leak at the rear of the crowd cylinder. Can the crowd cylinder be pulled out the back with the boom on the machine, or does the boom have to come off the machine?

Thanks,

cb1

Txhayseed

From memory you can pull the cylinder with out having to remove boom sections. You have to stage it where you can get to the front cylinder pin. Then pull the crowd cylinder retainers off from the back side and the whole cylinder should come out. Jlg online has the service manual free you can reference.

cb1

Occupation
retired military
Thanks, that is what we are going to try. I have the manual, but they take the whole assembly off and turn it over to replace all the wear pads etc.

Thanks for the reply,

cb1

Txhayseed

Yeah they assume sometimes if your in there that your gonna replace everything don’t they. Double check me on that but I’m pretty dang sure that the gradall and the jlg iteration of them can be removed. It’s been 15 years or so since I’ve been inside an old blue boomer

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Thanks, that is what we are going to try. I have the manual, but they take the whole assembly off and turn it over to replace all the wear pads etc.

Thanks for the reply,

cb1
Yes you can remove just the cylinder by itself without removing all the boom sections.