• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GPS or Laser????????

TomB102306

I own a John Deere 120c. Do a lot of basements, Driveways, ditching, and culverts. Lokking to get into a gps or laser system that will wliminate getting out and shooting grade with a stick. I wanna get where I need to be with staying in the cab. also something I can move to my D5 dozer. Not sure if I should go GPS or laser. Ive heard laser stuff isn't actually real time... I don't want to wait for catch up if that's the case... any help is appreciated on just a direction to start looking. thanks

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
are you ever going to do complex slopes? Lasers are fine for single or dual slope uses, I don't know if anyone uses them for more complex surfaces. GPS is a much more expensive setup but does alot more functions. I have seen operators with a receiver mounted on the boom and they set the bucket flat in the trench to check the grade.