• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GPS help

deerefan

Occupation
operator
Hey guys, the company I work for has a Trimble GeoXT hanheld GPS unit. I was unaware we had this unit, now I am a Dozer, Hoe, and Finish blade guy and do not have any GPS experience other then 3dmc2. Now I work at an oilfield solid waste landfill, we have alot of slopes and things like that that needed to be finished within 2 tenths. The new site super is tired of paying, and waiting on a surveyer to come stake out for us, hes wanting me to learn how to use this thing pretty much by just playing with it. Im just wondering its possible to set stakes with this unit and if there is any other equipment that we need such as an atenna, and ifs its just possible to learn how to use this technology on your own, or should we seek some kind of training? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brandon327

I am a surveyor , you will never get the required accuracy from a handheld unit. GPS on the dozer would be good.

Richardg

I am a surveyor , you will never get the required accuracy from a handheld unit. GPS on the dozer would be good.

Agreed!

If you do not get some type of system for your machine, You would need a rtk rover system at the least to get your accuracy.