• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gps & dual slope lasers

Dozerman550

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions for you. We do commercial, industrial & residential site work and I'm trying to get some knowledge about gps and dual grade lasers ( have never used either). We recently have done a couple of big fine grading jobs and was wondering which would have been a bigger asset to have in those situations. Most of the time we are on the smaller site projects but in this case we were fine grading 4 acres for blacktop trying to match 2 grades with single slope and some compound grades with no plans. I would like to eliminate the hassle of hiring a surveyor and grading to stakes.
With gps do you always need a set of plans downloaded to the system or can u take a 3D machine to the site touch one point then touch another and it figures out the middle or would a dual slope laser be better in that situation?

Chad@SitechTR

This is totally going to be determined by the size and how complex the site is. On a residential lot, you can probably get by with a dual slope laser and a LR50/60 receiver on the machine (Indicate only- No automatics)
On a bigger site, a more complex design, GPS would probably better suit that situation. You would need a base station, a rover, and a machine system (3D Automatics). You would need a model built for the machine and data collector. You would need a surveyor to set control points ( We recommend at least 5) with known X,Y,and Z coordinates to calibrate the site. You export this calibration as a .cfg file for the machine.

I know all this sounds complicated but your local Sitech dealer can help you with this in many different ways.

ETMF 58 White

Not to hijack the thread from the OP, but I was wondering if having a second LR50 on my dozer blade would be worth it for an upcoming project which involves preparing a 1 acre site for concrete paving? I have had my system for about a year now, and I can grade a pad to level fairly well with the one receiver mounted near the center of the blade. In fact we just did a pad 600 ft long x 50 ft wide and it worked fine.

The proposed project calls for a crown in the middle of the lot, perpendicular to the street, with a slope from the back line to the street. Then they want a swale for each of the two driveways into the lot, so that the profile of the lot when viewed from the street will be like a long, low "W"' if you can visualize that. The whole thing needs to fall toward the street.

I'm thinking that having a receiver on each end of the blade might help me. (No auto-control, just lights only). What do you experienced guys think? Would another $1800 receiver save time and concrete on this project?

johndeere123

I have done several pads 400x400 with 1 catch basin at the end of the pad with a dozer with a single antenna and could get it within 5mm. The best way we have found to save asphalt/concrete was to bring the grader in and take out the roughness the dozer leaves behind.