• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got my first dump truck!!

Copenhagen

This is my first dump truck and it has air bags. Should I let the air out of the bags when I dump my load?

In all the time I have running equipment, I saw some guys that would dump them and some guys wouldnt.

I will get some pics up shortly.

Lashlander

We work with a company that has an air ride dump truck and they deflate it every time. Some of them have the two sides isolated with seperate valves. It cures the problem with them leaning over.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
My Dad tipped over his dump truck with air bags when he first got it. He forgot I told him to drop the bags if he wasn't level.

On my truck I usually don't drop my bags if I am level from side to side, but sometimes I do if I think the load heavy on one side. If I am tilted a little to one side then I do. My bags air out fairly quick, so I hit the switch when I am backing and by the time I am backed up to the dump site it is ready to dump.

The key is to get a feel for your truck and watch the box going up. There has been a few times when I did not drop the bags and while watching the box going up noticed it leaning a little, didn't want to continue going up and have it lean more to the point of no return. Then I dropped it back down and let the air out of the bags and then dumped. Better to be safe than sorry.

jimmyjack

i 've always been told you dump the bags because when you dump the load , the load comes off the truck faster than the bags can deflate on there own causing them to over expand. it may not tear the bag when the bags are new but if its a older truck than why chance it.:my2c i'd dump them just to be safe, wouldn't want to "just see what would happen"

Copenhagen

i 've always been told you dump the bags because when you dump the load , the load comes off the truck faster than the bags can deflate on there own causing them to over expand. it may not tear the bag when the bags are new but if its a older truck than why chance it.:my2c i'd dump them just to be safe, wouldn't want to "just see what would happen"

I never thought of that. I thought it was just more of a stability issue, but that makes a lot of sense.

Now my next question. How do I turn the buzzer off when I dump my airbags? This is a converted OTR truck and when you have to dump the bags many times a day, it can get very annoying!

Truckie

What kind of truck is it?
You should be able to pull the dash out and access the switch. There should be a electrical plug going in to the back of the switch. Un plug the plug and it should take care of the problem.
I know on the Mack I use to run the air chime was connected in to the main chime for the air brake system just the same as was the power divider. All the chimes sounds came from the one for there air brake system.
If you un plug the plug it took care of the chime but it also disconnected the light on the dash as well.
I believe the rest of the trucks are the same.
As far as the air bags go I’d dump em every time. 1 to keep level, 2 the bags can’t bleed off and adjust as fast as the load can come off the truck.
I also made it a habit to lock in my power divider every time I dumped my air bags just to get a bit more traction because you loose some traction when the bags are deflated.Just :my2c

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
The buzzer might not be a bad thing to leave in maybe make it a little quieter if it is too loud. Some times I forget to air up the bags and wonder why the truck is riding so bad. After a long day you forget little things like that. It is hard on the airbags if you constantly over extend them. But they are way nicer on the back at the end of the day:drinkup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The tractor conversions really are not the best dump trucks because the suspension doesn't do well. If the truck is in good shape you may want to consider changing the rear suspension to a heavier bag set up. I never drove a dump with bag suspension but have been told you need to drop the bags before the box goes up. Dump trucks can roll over quickly before you know it your laying on the side whoops :D

One of the local contractors bought a used dump on air ride suspension had a novice driver on it the first day the driver blew both rear bags. I think it was from them being overloaded. Truck is a tractor conversion.

Myself I always watch the box as its going up my foot is resting on the clutch pedal and the hand on the lever for the box. If I see it shifting around or tilting to one side I step on the clutch let some of the dirt slide out or put the box down.

thejdman04

Yes for stability and for that fact. If your running down the road, full load you may have 40 psi air pressure in the bags to keep ride height. Ride height valves have a time delay, dont add or dump air pressure until after a certain time. (they do this so every bump, it doesnt let air out and back in. ) if theyd idnt put a time delay in every bump would compress the bag (letting air out) and when the axle dropped air would ahve to be let in. IF you dump the load quicly you could be back out on the road before the tiem delay kicks in and lets air out (and it lets it out fairly slowly). I have seen the ends fo air bags pushed out.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I've heard about dumping the bags for stability and for saving the bags from popping after dumping too. The stability reason makes perfect sense to me, but I don't see how the bag will come to grief with less load on it than it had 10 seconds ago. Won't the pressure inside the bag go down when you dump the load? I'd believe that you might mess up the ride height sensors/adjusters or some other such controls, but I don't think that the bag is gonna let go.
:confused:

jazak

The only think I don't like about it, is how low it sits.....

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
That truck shouldn't be too bad it looks like a decent ex day cab truck and it looks like the truck has the Eaton axles that was spec'ed for International they are tough rear ends if you break one your abusing the truck.

Copenhagen

hows the trucking going with that air ride ?

GREAT!!! Been dropping the bags every time and havent had any problems. I havent even dragged the tanks yet.

I think I will put some heavier bags on it this winter though. Kinda rolly in the corners.:eek:

KRiS_660

glad it works for you, i've just bought a 2000 model Freightliner FLD120 w/sleeper and am sending it to be converted to day cab so i can have dump bed installed on longer wheelbase. So far it looks like making bags independent with use of another actuator makes sense or using heavier bags should do job also.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
Always Dump The Air

As your pulling away from your pile on uneven ground, the auto levelers try to adjust to the sway of the box in the air. However because these are mechanical devises, they are slow and will add air to the high side deflating the low side. Next thing you know bang your laying on a door! The one company I drove quad's for it was a dischargable offense to NOT deflate the trailer and the tractor! They never had a truck on its side while I worked for them!

KRiS_660

can anyone who's installed Hendrickson (RT/RTE, HN,HaulMaax) on Freightliner FLD 120 post average cost of one of these systems .

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
If you looked at the other thread you posted too kris_660 your best option is try find a wrecked truck with Freightliners "Tuff Trac" its a suspension designed by Freighliner it works good its a rubber hybrid T ride suspension.

If your from Barbados I imagine parts availability would be tougher.