• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got my first bulldozing job today:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
something this high would be nice, but wow.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/hvo/d/whiting-1967-trav-co-26-ft-long-dump/7620727159.html
Looks to be a little under 8' high and a steel edge is nice for demo stuff.
That one has been listed for a long time. I seen it probably six months ago. I'm not a FB user myself and the one I posted photos of was from a link sent to me by someone else. I don't know the seller but was looking further south than me to avoid rust if possible.

There are a lot of them around Chicagoland, and beat to hell is an accurate description.

The search continues.

1693TA

Occupation
yeah that is the beauty of the 12 tonners.
Load and go, day or night. 102"
Some guys would whittle down the tracks on 160's to 102"

Showed this thread to my son in law. He tells me they have a 160 coming into the dealership on trade this next week. Don't know the sub series yet, (A-G) but it is a few years old, owner purchased new, and always maintained by this dealership. Supposedly runs and operates well and the owner has already taken delivery of a new, and larger machine.

Out of curiosity, going to look into this further the first of the week.

Been looking at FB via "Searchtempest.com" at dump trailers. I don't have a FB account so cannot contact any sellers. I do know several that will make the initial contact however.

This may sound far fetched, but how feasible would it be to remove say 12"-18" of the sidewall height of a dump trailer to load using my existing equipment? I have the capability and skill set to do this, just not the experience to know if the effort would be justified?

I don't want a frameless trailer at all, and a 1/4 frame that stays on it's wheels when dumping, or a full frame is what I'm after. 26' to 28' maximum in length also. I looked at a "Hillbilt" demolition trailer earlier today but it has 60" sides and is almost 10'4" from the ground to the top without sideboards. Again, this is too tall for what I need but this trailer was sound, barn door end gate, on spring and the brakes/drums looked good. A couple of 22.5" tires need replaced shortly, but all were inflated. Trailer is on Dayton hubs. I want to say it was a 1989. Raining today and camera port got moisture detected alert so couldn't take photos.

skyking1

If you ever got the chance to use it with an excavator of decent size, you'd be bummed you cut it down if you are hauling house demo or brush. You cube out long before you get over weight.
A guy could cut down one side and scab it back on later though.

1693TA

Occupation
Cutting down one side I hadn't thought of. If I were to weld channel, or angle steel to the cut edges of the removed panel, and remaining sidewall panel, these could be bolted back together restoring the original trailer capacity. Enough fasteners would nearly restore the side strength too from pushing out.

I only have this screen grab but here is the trailer looked at:

Hilbilt trailer.JPG

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Cutting down the sides defeats the purpose. I am not sure I caught what your wanting to load it with. I have a buddy that has 3 tall sided end dumps that I use for demos. The only thing you can use to load it is a decent sized excavator. I use my 160 without issue, but it couldn't be much smaller, maybe a 130 would still work. If you breakdown the material well, you can over load them with household debris. However there is no better way to handle demo. You just need the equipment to take advantage of the high cube trailers.

1693TA

Occupation
That's a rock setup, the tailgate would indeed suck. I can't tell if the back is sloped a bit or not, if so you'd have to fab up some for that too.
IMO you are doing cart before horse. You have nothing to properly load it with.
I'm afraid this trailer is going to be out of the running. On top of being too tall, it needs three brake drums for sure and the fourth won't last another shoe set. They are Gunite #2893 and kinda expensive as seen here: https://www.fleetpride.com/parts/gunite-brake-drum-2983c I get a little better pricing but still about $250.00 a copy plus relined shoes, hardware, seals, bearings, etc.

1693TA

Occupation
Cutting down the sides defeats the purpose. I am not sure I caught what your wanting to load it with. I have a buddy that has 3 tall sided end dumps that I use for demos. The only thing you can use to load it is a decent sized excavator. I use my 160 without issue, but it couldn't be much smaller, maybe a 130 would still work. If you breakdown the material well, you can over load them with household debris. However there is no better way to handle demo. You just need the equipment to take advantage of the high cube trailers.
Hi and thanks. I really am wanting to use either my 1845C, or the backhoe tractor to load. Don't mind more than one trailer either if can stay under my 20K budget for this to start out.

You have a 160? What series and is it a reliable excavator? I'm going to run up and look at the one mentioned next week as I can make purchase for close to what they have in it, but I don't know that yet.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Cutting down one side I hadn't thought of. If I were to weld channel, or angle steel to the cut edges of the removed panel, and remaining sidewall panel, these could be bolted back together restoring the original trailer capacity. Enough fasteners would nearly restore the side strength too from pushing out.

I only have this screen grab but here is the trailer looked at:

View attachment 288144

Is that a Palmer?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yeah Palmer is made in Mississippi. Similar design.

1693TA

Occupation
We were upgrading the radar sites at Biloxi, MS, and Mobile, AL and about every other trailer around there was a Palmer. Had never seen them prior. Hilbilt, and the other major players are popular around here.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Hi and thanks. I really am wanting to use either my 1845C, or the backhoe tractor to load. Don't mind more than one trailer either if can stay under my 20K budget for this to start out.

You have a 160? What series and is it a reliable excavator? I'm going to run up and look at the one mentioned next week as I can make purchase for close to what they have in it, but I don't know that yet.
I have a 2020 Link Belt 160 X4 long stick, prolink, and hyd coupler. I really like it.

1693TA

Occupation
I have a 2020 Link Belt 160 X4 long stick, prolink, and hyd coupler. I really like it.
I'm really not familiar with any of them except ones I've seen on jobsites. Don't think I've ever seen a Link-Belt except older friction cranes. I didn't know they made excavators really.

The one traded in I'm going to look at, (possibly) is a Deere. Don't know anything about it either than what I'm told but my son in law knows the seller very well through the years being the parts manager at the dealership. He tells me it's been maintained well but that's all I really know now.

Here is a link to the series. I don't know what boom option it has:

joe--h

How about building a ramp to get your height? If it's debris from a tear down it's all in one place, build a ramp or park the trailer in the basement.

Joe H

skyking1

I'm really not familiar with any of them except ones I've seen on jobsites. Don't think I've ever seen a Link-Belt except older friction cranes. I didn't know they made excavators really.

The one traded in I'm going to look at, (possibly) is a Deere. Don't know anything about it either than what I'm told but my son in law knows the seller very well through the years being the parts manager at the dealership. He tells me it's been maintained well but that's all I really know now.

Here is a link to the series. I don't know what boom option it has:

That is a big shift in equipment for you!
If you want us to "look" at it, take many pictures of the undercarriage, note any leaks, and find @John C. guide on evaluating equipment.
160C's are really nice machines IMO. I always enjoyed my time with them.
One time I was moving a 200LC onto the interstate every night with a 3 axle pintle trailer behind a 1978 water truck with a 318 detroit : Major Facepalm:
I misjudged the bridge and had not folded it up exactly the same and I hit an overpass and damaged he lines on it. Oops.
Boss asked if I could work the jersey barriers with a 160C. heck yeah!
It handled them fine and was much nicer to move @35,000 pounds and 102 wide.
They are really the culmination of permit free hauling. They easily handle double stacked structure boxes, and do OK loading trash trailers like that.
Keep in mind that with the highest sided trailers they are still a little short but you can make do. The 10' trailers are easy peasy. I only speak about those 13'6" monsters that the scrap guys run as being an issue.

1693TA

Occupation
Thank you and it is a "shift" from the original posted intent. However, with zero debt load to pay down, "capital gains" are going to hit me hard this year if I don't obligate funds someplace. I really have a hard time replacing a piece of equipment with new that both fits needs, and is dead reliable, (1845C, 1980 Mack R series referenced). Would much rather purchase something I could use and don't have. Don't need, nor want new, so you're seeing the path chosen and followed. I don't want to do this work full time, but with the list of contacts I have, it will keep me busy enough to justify the expense(s).

My implement hauling gig was to be short lived but I've met so many nice people along the way, it's not been so easy to let go of. Think of it this way; When you show up it is to take someone's problem away. When you return, there is no problem any longer. Either that or you are delivering someone's new toy. It's a "win-win" for me as I have no skin in the game but the people are happy to see me any time.

When I run up to look at this excavator I will take many photos. I don't know anything about them really and as mentioned I've never dug a hole with one other than a trench. This one has a thumb but don't know if manual, or hydraulic at this time. Son in law says it's a 2003 build, placed into service in early 2004 and does not show it's age so I gather well cared for.

skyking1

It will have a progressive thumb from CWS or one of the other major players at that time.
It is likely to have a wedge coupler for bucket changes, but it might have a pin grabber. Those were more common in the larger machines then, but definitely a possibility.
It will have a standard 36" bucket with probably 5 teeth that mesh with the 4 tooth thumb for grubbing.
Ask about buckets so you can get the all the ones it came in with. It sucks when they get separated from the machine and are costly to get.
It can handle a 5' cleanup bucket fine. Some of them came with a 4' but if I had to go shopping I would go for the 5'.