• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got a whatizit at an auction...

DIYDAVE

It was inventory from an old hardware store, if that helps...

What it is is about an 8" grinder, grinder pivots up and down, to a table with a slot in it. One inch wide grinder wheel rotates downward, toward the table, at front. Wheel is belt driven, from a motor, at back. Thought it might be a rotary mower blade grinder, but not real sure, as the direction of rotation appears wrong, for that app. Only an on/off switch, no direction change switch.

Anyway, from the tag, its a SIP grinding machine co (Sandusky Ohio)
Model 21-A
Serial # 70-679.

I learned that SIP stands for simplex ideal peerless. They make a lot of golf course grinders, am beginning to think it may be part of maybe a bigger unit, not real sure. Anyway, anybody got any experience, or knowledge to share? Is there an old metal working site, that catalogs stuff like this? I'm on my way over to OWWM.com, to see if they have anything on it...:confused:

DIYDAVE

Got a phone? PM me And I can send it thataway, I aint no good at posting them on the compuker...;)

56wrench

well, my laptop is acting up again so its hard to do until it smartens up, so i'm mostly using my smartphone to load pictures because i find its faster that way. it saves having to download them to my laptop. i,ll try later to pm you or just use my phone's wifi connection when i get a few minutes

DIYDAVE

Bit of an update, I hauled the grinder in, plugged it in, and it spins the right direction for grinding rotary mower blades. Haven't actually ground a blade with it, but I betcha it shoots the sparks right toward your face...:D

I saw some info on SIP grinders, and it appears to be a head unit, which could be set up several ways, to grind reels, bedknives, or rotary blades. The head units look like they could be changed out, depending on what you have to work on. Still haven't been able to find an exact picture of it, but I did snap one on my phone, if anyone cares to look, just PM me.;)