• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got A Back Up Plan?

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'm curious as to why that truck started rolling backwards, isn't that the point of air brakes? Unless you have sufficient pressure to release them, they should be automaticaly applied? Something doesn't seem right.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
I'm curious as to why that truck started rolling backwards, isn't that the point of air brakes? Unless you have sufficient pressure to release them, they should be automaticaly applied? Something doesn't seem right.

the springs in the brakes are held back by air pressure, when you don't have enough pressure the springs release and lock the brakes...this truck flipped when it didn't have its brakes locked and probably full PSI in the tank, when it rolled there was no disconnect anywhere in the air line so no pressure escaped so the brakes never popped...if a line would have been severed then the brakes would have come on...but i'm suprised the truck wasn't in gear going around that bend, maybe thats why it flipped...driver couldn't find a gear and panicked or he was using his Georgia overdrive...had it been in gear it wouldn't have rolled back either

video was funny as hell though

Last edited:

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Unless when the truck started to roll the driver reached out to grab on to something and grabed the shifter and took it out of gear.

On another note guess he cant lie to the boss about how the tow truck flipped. Its all on film haha

fhansen

Occupation
Farmer and Trucker
Great air system. It's hard to believe it kept enough pressure to stay charged-especially after a rollover!