1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gooseneck or pintle dump trailer?

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Frank Stockman, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Frank Stockman

Frank Stockman New Member

I am looking to invest in a new dump trailer. I have a couple of F550s and 2 Chevy Duramax all with automatic transmissions. Which type hitch should be best for my purpose? I am wanting to haul gravel and various other materials.
    I am leaning toward 12,000 lb axles, and 3 foot sides.

I would appreciate any wisdom.

2. AllDodge

AllDodge Senior Member

GN would be best IMO

24K gross

3. suladas

suladas Senior Member

GN would be better as you'll be able to haul more. You could get one plated for 30k with 12k axles, whereas a bumper pull most would be 24-26k max and that's quite a bit for a bumper pull behind a F550.

4. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    GN for that kind of weight behind a light truck.

5. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

Another vote for gooseneck, the truck will be much more stable and safer

6. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

Gooseneck, I bought a pintle hitch with 12,000 lb. axles with a 20 straight deck last fall. Got it really cheap because of the configuration with the thought of making longer and gooseneck. Decided a couple weeks ago to move my 18,000 lb. excavator a couple miles on it behind my f350 just to see how it handled. Horrible to get balanced with that kind of weight on a pintle. Pulled it in the shop the next day and cut the tongue off just to keep my stupid self from trying that again.

Pintle hitches are great behind two ton or heavier trucks where you can get the load really close to the rearend otherwise it's really hard to get the load balanced right in my opinion.

DMiller likes this.