• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good top soil

td25c

Around here the topsoil is good black dirt for at least 24" some spots up to 36" thick.

I can get in to some of that dirt but I have to drop about 300 ' in elevation to the river bottoms :)

Your ground in Illinois reminds me when I was working for a farmer in north Indiana . Like you say good black deep top dirt . We were a little west of Monticello . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monticello,_Indiana

Flat prairie farm ground as far as the eye could see with few small 3 to 5 acre patches of trees scattered about , really nice farm ground :thumbsup. Some areas even had some peat ground .

Last edited:

td25c

Finished up hauling top dirt moved to another job spreading stone with the old Chevy . Had some bad luck yesterday , smelled antifreeze so opened the hood and sure enough the water pump went out .:(

Set us back a little but got it going again at job site .

Kind of hated to spend that much money on the truck but sometimes you have to put a little in the kitty:D

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...4WD&vi=5147547&mn=MasterPro+Water+Pump&mc=MWP

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
When we were young, and newlyweds I owned only a 1961 B275 IH. It came with a back blade. Home is an ancient river bed. There is no trace of organic soil. After building the house there was no lawn, or money for expensive topsoil. I got a load here and there where I could. Most of what I got was pretty poor, full of rocks, and broken glass. Any opportunity for anything organic was seized. A former dairy farm was cleaning off the concrete barn yard. Three year old cow $hit was 6" deep on a half acre. The new owner paid to load it, I got it by paying for the trucking. Nancy knew before the first of it arrived it would stink. Her condemnation of the plan was loud, and lengthy.

She went off to an evening school board meeting, I seized the opportunity. The stuff was the consistency of warm peanut butter. It spread a thin coat over the entire lawn. By the time Mrs. B got home it was too dark to tell the extent. She sputtered about smell, and went to bed. Next morning wasn't pretty. In about a week the grass was luscious, and green. She eventually forgave, she hasn't forgotten. She still tells the story.

Years later, they dredged the old sewer brook. The last sewage was dumped down it in 1966. I got my hands on 100 yards in 2013, I've had it stockpiled. Last weekend I filled a sag in the lawn using 70 yards. Again the boss wasn't happy about it, but she'll get over it.

mitch504

Finished up hauling top dirt moved to another job spreading stone with the old Chevy . Had some bad luck yesterday , smelled antifreeze so opened the hood and sure enough the water pump went out .:(

Set us back a little but got it going again at job site .

Kind of hated to spend that much money on the truck but sometimes you have to put a little in the kitty:D

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...4WD&vi=5147547&mn=MasterPro+Water+Pump&mc=MWP

Hey TD, look on the bright side, an hour's wrenching and you've doubled the value of your truck! ;)

td25c

That's a good way to look at it Mitch :thumbsup

Like you say took about an hour to change the pump on the small block Chevy .

Pay parts store $18.99 for the new water pump .

Haul a few extra loads that evening to make up for the loss.:)

grandpa

That's a good way to look at it Mitch :thumbsup

Like you say took about an hour to change the pump on the small block Chevy .

Pay parts store $18.99 for the new water pump .

Haul a few extra loads that evening to make up for the loss.:)
Keep that truck!! It would have taken you two hours just to get to see the water pump on one of the new versions.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Picture is small, is it a C50 or smaller? I have a 1976 C65, with 427 tall block truck engine. It'd be considered a powerhouse in a smaller truck, but 27500 LBS gross, or a 16500 pound backhoe on a 9 ton triaxle trailer, hills are SLOW. Fuel economy is not something I'm bragging about.

td25c

Picture is small, is it a C50 or smaller? I have a 1976 C65, with 427 tall block truck engine. It'd be considered a powerhouse in a smaller truck, but 27500 LBS gross, or a 16500 pound backhoe on a 9 ton triaxle trailer, hills are SLOW. Fuel economy is not something I'm bragging about.

Ours is a 1966 model C-60 . Originally came with in line 6 292 engine with 4 speed transmission & 2 speed rear . Later we transplanted a 1973 350 . Truck is geared pretty low , run around 3,000 RPM at 55 MPH where the small block likes it .

Has plenty of power and surprisingly really aint to bad on fuel . Only thing I can figure is gear ratio is perfect for the engine:beatsme

Can load 6 or 7 tons on it and stay rite with a tri or quad axil hauling 21 tons in the hills .

Use it mostly as a site truck moving product around in areas we cant get a big truck in . Spreading stone now with it , haul off a stock pile on site . Truck burns around 18 gallons of gas in an 8 hour shift , I shut it off when I hop out to load each time . That aint to bad for a 50 year old rig.:)

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
You've beaten the laws of physics. Mine seems to burn gas when it's not in use. 6.88:1 50 MPH is 3000 RPM.

td25c

It baffles me as well Willie B . I'm not going to make any changes or adjustments on the C-60.

Then on the other hand we use an 86 Chevy K 30 with 454 engine & auto transmission to pull gooseneck trailer . It makes decent power for what it is but really sucks the fuel , can dang near watch the needle move .

Dad & I joke about it but if we lined the K 30 454 up against the C-60 350 in 1/8 mile drag race loaded equally the C-60 would probably take it .:D

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My friend had an 87 3500 with 350. It had some serious hill climbing ability. With heavy boat in tow I was always impressed with its power. The 90 crew cab he traded for with 454 was a dog.

The medium truck engines in 366 & 427 were very different engines than the other big blocks. They had pistons, and cylinders 3/8" taller than small truck engines of the same displacement. The pistons had an extra oil ring, the cranks were forged steel instead of cast iron. Cooling passages were much larger, and valves, and cam shaft were bigger.

Whether they offered a similarly built small block for the C50 I don't know.

td25c

Yeah Willie , that's interesting about your buddy's experience with the 3500's .

The 350 in the dump truck was a transplant out of a 1973 Chevy K 10 pickup . Don't have the truck specs from 73 but I bet it's the L 48 350 like they offered in the cars .

Attachments

• 1973 chevy engines 001.jpg
    1973 chevy engines 001.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 152

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My former brother in law was fresh out of high school in 1972 when he bought a new short box with plow. The 1973 body style was radically different from all that came before. There was a lot of discussion about engines, and gear ratios. I have never understood how an adequate engine in a 6000 LB truck could power a truck 4 or 5 times as heavy.

td25c

My take on it is matching the engine & gears for the job at hand .

Like your brother in law's truck for instance , he would have bought the truck for multitask needs . Needed a little extra torque for plowing snow in winter but still wanted a daily driver for other tasks. Probably had 4.11 ratio drives on the 73 pickup .

Then with the same engine in a single axil dump truck some guy is wanting to haul 6 or 7 tons of product in the bed . Rear end gear ratios change to 6.50 / 8.80 on the two speed rear to make it happen .:)

Like you say Willie , allot of discussion about engines & gear ratios .

Last edited: