• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good shots of D355A remains

LEGEND

The guy who took the photos says its not known what happened to it or why is it on the side. He says it is in the middle of nowhere and he heard from local hunters that there is a big abandoned dozer in a remote area so he decided to go find it and check it out.

surfer-joe

Looks like a fitting end to a fair to bad piece of equipment. Doesn't look as tho it had real good maintenance, and "A" model 355's were maintenance intensive. Very prone to bust final drives.

It looks like there is a mine off in the distance a ways behind the dozer in one or two of the pictures. If it was in a hard rock mine it was likely worked hard round the clock and thus would have racked up hours fast. It probably busted something and became a parts machine for the ones still able to operate.

I notice there are other pieces of machinery scattered in with the Komatsu parts, so this was maybe a scrap iron pile for the activity. Not so different from coal mines in Kentucky and West Virginia that I've been around.

LDK

A lot of the equipment over there that is still attempting to do a days work is not so far from that condition

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF LDK! :drinkup

LDK

Thank you CB, I've been watching from the side lines for a while, thought it was time I made contact.

Countryboy

Occupation
Thank you CB, I've been watching from the side lines for a while, thought it was time I made contact.

Well, glad you decided to join in on the fun. :drinkup

Is that dozer in your avatar really the color it appears to be? Can you post the original?

surfer-joe

I just had to laugh at LDK's comment! The "A" model 355's I had in Colorado were just about in that shape too. I had some D9H's in Kentucky that would have made the 355 look brand new.

I still remember the ass-chewing I received from my boss after the company brass came by and saw the bare carcass of one D9 -- which just happened to still be on the books as an asset valued at $60,000.00. Oh Boy!!!

But, we saved considerably more than that by parting the old girl out. The U/C was shot, and it had lost a final drive. Parts alone would have cost us the 60 grand, and we used nearly everything else off that tractor that was still in workable condition to keep the other 11 D9's working.

I suppose I could have reinstalled the busted parts off the other dozers on the parts machine, but that would have eaten up labor time and money we didn't have.

The boss explained it to me like this. The D9 was part of the collateral on a loan package, which if said loan had been called in, the Cat would have had to have been in operable condition. That would have been tough.

LDK

Is that dozer in your avatar really the color it appears to be? Can you post the original?

Yes, a pale grey and blue combination. It is a Japanese company, Yamazaki. When I was there about 13 or 14 years ago, I was told they had 2,200 pieces of CAT equipment and didn't have any Komatsu gear. Will post the picture later, its bed time here.

LDK

Sorry the picture is not of better quality, my wife took it with a through away camera.

Attachments

• dozer2.jpg
    dozer2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,827

Countryboy

Occupation
Wow, that looks pretty good. Thanks! :drinkup

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Those where 2 different machines. The one that is on its side is not a 355,
It looks like a 455 hard nose. Just look at the head light brackets, radiator guards???

steelman

Your right. It is a D455A. A couple of pictures have a part number in them and the first three numbers "198" indicate it's a D455A.

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to HEF steelman! :drinkup

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
355 remains

Definatley a 455, just look at the sprocket,no track frame mounted to it, 455 track frames mounted to a pivot shaft forward of the final drives.

Countryboy

Occupation
Welcome to HEF RDG! :drinkup