• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good places to find heavy spec trucks?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
We're looking for a heavy spec lowbed tractor. Something with a double frame preferably Cat Power an 18-speed, a brownie either 2 or 4 speed, 20-22k front, 20k drop & 52000 pound rears. Possibly open to 46s if it is a late model. I've looked all around truck paper and such where else can a guy look to find a decent used tractor?

walkerv

We're looking for a heavy spec lowbed tractor. Something with a double frame preferably Cat Power an 18-speed, a brownie either 2 or 4 speed, 20-22k front, 20k drop & 52000 pound rears. Possibly open to 46s if it is a late model. I've looked all around truck paper and such where else can a guy look to find a decent used tractor?
Look for Michigan specials it is a heavy spec setup that should help with your search

Truck Shop

One question, why the 18 spd with a auxiliary gear box? The 18 with lower drive ratio should be plenty. But with that said tractors like that used are not easily found, especially
ones that are any good. 475 and up in horse power but nothing lower than 1850 torque for specs. And a used rig with your spec's expect 80K for one that's ready to work and that's
on the low side. There were a few with really good heavy spec's for sale in California earlier this year because of non compliant on emissions. I would keep my eye's open that
direction.

http://www.roadranger.com/rr/ProductsServices/ProductsbyCategory/Transmissions/PCT_486870

Truck Shop

Last edited:

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Look for Michigan specials it is a heavy spec setup that should help with your search
Be afraid to get anything pertaining to vehicle in Michigan with the rust belt. Seen few transmissions over there I was looking at and gave me the heebee geebee's looking at them.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
As far as auxiliaries go....2 speed (1202) is almost bulletproof BUT you cannot shift up or down while moving. 4 speed (1241 or APO 1750-4) can be shifted while moving but the torque capacity drops significantly when GCW goes up, especially north of 150-160k. An 18 with 4.56’s is damn hard to beat. I’ve been all over the 48 and Canada with that setup and very rarely did I need the back box. Most of those miles was 9 axles and up.

Back box is good for that go-home gear but those darn 4.56’s didn’t like that road speed. Poor pinion was really wound up!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Cody,
Yes I emailed them Friday evening & should hear back tomorrow.

TruckShop,
You are right, these trucks are really hard to find used and with correct specs, wb, ect.

Junkyard,
I was looking for one with the back box so we could have a more highway friendly rear (.11's or .30's) and still be able to yank these big yarders all over the woods.

You guys always have good knowledge & I appreciate your help!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The 4 speed is handy for that. My last personally owned truck was 18+4, 4.56’s and tall 24.5’s. With everything in the big hole it’d run 70mph@1500. You could run a lot faster but the rears would get warm quick. I always kept my rears low because it was so much easier on things.

One drawback to the 4 speed is you can apply so much torque you don’t realize how wound up you may have things lol. That’s where full locking rears are nice, at least you can spread that load out over four axle shafts and as many parts as possible.

If you do get a 4 speed I can share some absolute DO NOT’S for it. I don’t even want to think back about what those lessons cost me!

Crummy

Action Specialized had some of their equipment for sale locally recently and I remember a tractor like what you are looking for, now I just have to remember where I saw it...

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I really wanted Bill Paulson's lowbed tractor but a guy in Oregon already had his name on it and he picked it up on Wednesday. That would have been excellent for what we want to do but not so good for what he is doing as he wants to make runs from Central Oregon into Idaho and such. That is a 30 mile truck and a Woods truck.

Truck Shop

That's a weird drivetrain. 2 speed axles and a 15 speed with the U shaped shift pattern (progressive?).

The overdrive RTO 15 speed Eaton had fifth/tenth gear up against the dash. The direct RT 15's had standard pattern. Top gear in a RTO/RTOO is positioned where
third on a 13 spd or 4th on a 10spd on the main shaft not on the input shaft. The 15 RTO was either .81 or .79 final ratio the RTOO {double overdrive} was .63.
With 355 or 336 ratio and a RTOO 15 with .63 final you had a Monfort Lane runner around 105 with 336 rears. All RTO transmissions top gear is on the main shaft,
That's how to tell the difference between a RT direct and RTO when the tag is missing. Pull the shift bar housing and take a look see. Note in the pic below that 4th is on the main shaft not the input shaft,
on a {say for instance} RTLO18913A there is a reverser built into the shift bar housing so the shift
pattern is standard on those models of 13Spd.

Truck Shop

015.JPG

Last edited:

Wes J

That one is truly bizarre. 6700 hours but only 49,000 miles?

70K rears but powered by an L10 and a 7 speed? 58" tall fifth wheel.

That had to be cobbled together from some very specific task. Maybe yard truck or some kind of work inside a plant?

hvy 1ton

That one is truly bizarre. 6700 hours but only 49,000 miles?

70K rears but powered by an L10 and a 7 speed? 58" tall fifth wheel.

That had to be cobbled together from some very specific task. Maybe yard truck or some kind of work inside a plant?

I know a guy that bought a W900 tractor from an airport. Had about the same hours/mile, c13, super? 10, and 52k rears.

Here's the specs on those axles. 5.52 is the fast ratio.
d2f2533b35.png