• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good old Iron versus new stuff

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
Some areas of Texas require Tier1 or newer. Dallas-Houston area they just shut off using the equipment until working out a program, circa 2010?. I don't remember the exact date; had to research emission regulations before shipping equipment to mid Texas in 2013. Fed, State contracts in Oklahoma Tiered engines. Other states have repower programs via grants similar to Calif. Calif has 35 air quality management districts, you could end up with job in two different districts.
Ralph's 660s sat @ my buddies storage area for 4 years. Then went to this job in Nevada. Fast forward to 4:30. 660s @ just under 45mph.
I assume Ralph's fun bag is full and basically he's retired, his equipment yard is full of equipment about 10km from my place. ACI yard is in the opposite direction about 6km, they've sold the property for housing development. Scraped equipment for 10 years.

What the heck is the guy upset about in the front D10 pushing? Hes talking and waving all the time!

StanRUS

What the heck is the guy upset about in the front D10 pushing? Hes talking and waving all the time!
#1 push dozer operator 'directs the cut'. He's trying get the scraper operators to feather the can sooner, e.g. lift the can out of the cut to decrease cycle time.
Effect load is taking 18 seconds from C-dozer tag up and an additional 10 to 14 seconds until the scraper can is raised to leave the cut. 660s are a bit slower to raise the can up out of the cut compared to 651s.
C-dozer operator's 'waving'? He's motioning lift by raising both of his arms and end cut by crossing his arms.
Scraper operator being pushed cannot see his' show from the operator's seat position.

colson04

Do they ever run Deere tractors with pull pans or the newer ADT modified scrapers down there on those big jobs?

I'm just asking because I don't see much scraper action around here. Mostly excavators direct filling dump trucks. The last scraper action I saw was a Deere pulling a pan to excavate the lagoon at my grandpa's farm.

AzIron

In the southwest pull pans and scrapers are not a thing that's very common you see them down in areas were the ground is lighter and there is not any rock bigger than 3 inch minus

Around here half the jobs will be on or around a hill and there can be a lot of big rocks

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
#1 push dozer operator 'directs the cut'. He's trying get the scraper operators to feather the can sooner, e.g. lift the can out of the cut to decrease cycle time.
Effect load is taking 18 seconds from C-dozer tag up and an additional 10 to 14 seconds until the scraper can is raised to leave the cut. 660s are a bit slower to raise the can up out of the cut compared to 651s.
C-dozer operator's 'waving'? He's motioning lift by raising both of his arms and end cut by crossing his arms.
Scraper operator being pushed cannot see his' show from the operator's seat position.
Least he,s letting them know to pull out.
When i was learning on a 31 the old boy on the 10 wouldnt tell us anything he would just throw it into reverse and leave you there.We were in soft ground too so sometimes you would be stuck and have to wait for him to push all the others and then he would whinge about having to come back to you.Many a bad word spoken and not nice when your learning.Now im one of those old boys and i tell anyone that asks or is learning as much as i can coz i know what its like.

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving

I see. I'm used to worked around guys that know when to bail out and quit running dirt over the side of the bowl. Most of them know where to cut next but still a few that jump out of line and you have to chase them. Never pushed with two tractors before....looks fun!!

StanRUS

Do they ever run Deere tractors with pull pans or the newer ADT modified scrapers down there on those big jobs?

I'm just asking because I don't see much scraper action around here. Mostly excavators direct filling dump trucks. The last scraper action I saw was a Deere pulling a pan to excavate the lagoon at my grandpa's farm.
Calif has lots of dirt work where ADTs can be used.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I haven't posted here in some time, been very busy, computer died, etc.
After years of running mainly 627B and 621B model scrapers, this winter after layoff I was sidelined with hip joint surgery. Running stuff with questionable maintenance and poorly working seats got me to decide I wanted to try and find something better.
I'm happy to report I am now Employed by McArdle Grading out of Elkhorn, Nebraska. Now I get to play on 627F and 637G scrapers. Requires a bit of adjustment but having working AC/heat, properly functioning seats, low effort controls, a much quieter cab, wipers and so forth sure make it a lot easier on an old fart like me! I just don't take getting beaten and barbequed like I used to and the hip likes it a whole lot better. I hope I never have to go back.
Glad to be back on the forum, will try to visit more frequently like I used to and post some pics once I get a properly working cell phone again. Got a big hole to dig myself out of, so I hope mom nature knocks it off with the rain for awhile.
Take care everybody!
Alan627, no more B!

ShaneK

At about 1:10 that push Cat sure picks the scraper up nice. Good operators slide right in with no bump at all. I miss the black smoke of old though. How do you tell if they are both working?
Looks like that scraper has a roller block on the tail too during that same clip you mentioned. Smooth!

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
At about 1:10 that push Cat sure picks the scraper up nice. Good operators slide right in with no bump at all. I miss the black smoke of old though. How do you tell if they are both working?
Old mate of mine used to push us,been doing it for years,he used to come in on the exact right angle in 2 gear full noise and know exactly when to slew on to us and away we would go with just a gentle little bump.He was a master at it and seen other guys try and do it and there would be corner tips threw tyres and upset buggie ops from being knocked around.One thing ive never seen in Australia and dont know why is the blades yous guys use to push scrapers.
You would have a hard time putting one of them through a tyre and if you did id say you wouldnt be pushing anymore.

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
Calif has lots of dirt work where ADTs can be used.
Dont think theres many of them down here,not in western australia anyway.Wouldnt mind ago on one i gather they are good for long hauls but i read somewhere your roads cut and fill have to be smooth as because theyre rough as otherwise,and im talking worse than scrapers.

StanRUS

One thing ive never seen in Australia and dont know why is the blades yous guys use to push scrapers.
You would have a hard time putting one of them through a tyre and if you did id say you wouldnt be pushing anymore.
Yep, Gavin84W has been to the US a few times for Con-AG in Vegas, and in this area visiting Mitzel's yards. Gav has tied to convince Aussie contractors to use C-dozers in his former position @ WesTac scrapers sales NSW? I mailed Gav D9L, D10s manufacturing shop prints for cushion dozer and push cushion obtained from Cat-Balderson Work Tools, Wamego Kansas about 5 years ago. Drew up CAD files didn't need the paper shop prints.
Sukut Equipment Rental (rental and construction are separate org's) has a bunch of C-dozers forsale; they scrape equipment to sale parts.
Takes 1-1.5hrs to switch over from full dozer to C-dozer.
C-dozer is bit more productive and LOTS easier to use! 1 tire @ $18-22thou would pay over half the cost for a new C-dozer.
Be safe, take care squid.

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
Yep, Gavin84W has been to the US a few times for Con-AG in Vegas, and in this area visiting Mitzel's yards. Gav has tied to convince Aussie contractors to use C-dozers in his former position @ WesTac scrapers sales NSW? I mailed Gav D9L, D10s manufacturing shop prints for cushion dozer and push cushion obtained from Cat-Balderson Work Tools, Wamego Kansas about 5 years ago. Drew up CAD files didn't need the paper shop prints.
Sukut Equipment Rental (rental and construction are separate org's) has a bunch of C-dozers forsale; they scrape equipment to sale parts.
Takes 1-1.5hrs to switch over from full dozer to C-dozer.
C-dozer is bit more productive and LOTS easier to use! 1 tire @ $18-22thou would pay over half the cost for a new C-dozer.
Be safe, take care squid.
Good info thanks Stan.Dont know why they dont use them doesnt make sense.If Gav couldnt convince people to try them then never happen.

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
We use to hang a truck tire on the back of the pan. It helps s little. Poor man's pushin cushion.

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
Heater for cold winters?
Calif Mexican air-conditioning; layered clothing
Great to watch a pack of 51s and D10s moving dirt fast and always makes me laugh how the 51 operators are wearing hard hats on their machines,would make people watching think scrapers are "really" rough.

StanRUS

Great to watch a pack of 51s and D10s moving dirt fast and always makes me laugh how the 51 operators are wearing hard hats on their machines,would make people watching think scrapers are "really" rough.
51-57Bs with those swinging steeps; you need 'shin-bone' protectors! B models require more climbing around to check fluid levels compared to E,Gs. I like the relocated fuel filter and primer; don't have to climb across the nose to crank the engine after R&I.