• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good mid-size backhoe I can tow with a pickup trailer?

RenoHuskerDu

I'm looking over Iron Planet and Richie's to buy a used backhoe. But most of them weigh too much. My trailer can legally carry 15,000 lbs. Is it just me, or is there a big weight gap between most backhoes and the little Kubota 25 series? That little Kub is too small for me.

What good backhoe weighs in around 14k to 15k? I might have to settle for a compact tractor with backhoe on it. Kubota has a brand new 58hp for about $40k, with excellent 0% financing.

Please guys don't turn this into a truck tow masculinity contest, like what happened to this thread https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...excavator-you-pull-with-a-pickup-truck.42943/ My F-350 drw can safely and legally tow my 21k trailer in Texas.

Last edited:

AzIron

14000lbs that means no 4 wd no e stick probably shy away from a quick coupler and 4 in 1 bucket

I think an old Ford 555 would fit the bill as well as a jd 310 thru the c series a d might push it I dont think a cat 416 will stay under 14500

Whatever the book says add 5 to 8 percent to the working weight real world weight is always more than book

joe--h

While I'm no expert on much of anything I do know that a maxed out trailer ain't fun or a good idea no matter what kind of pickup you have.
Here if a cop saw a full sized backhoe behind a pickup you'd probably be beside the road chatting.

Joe H

aighead

I'm fairly positive the claim of my New Holland lb75b, is around 14.5k lbs. It has erops, e-hoe, and 4wd. It was towed, to me in Dayton OH, from mid-Michagan, behind a duley(sp?) pickup truck on what looked to be a 40 ft trailer. It did fine, other than the ramps weren't up to the task. Watch for low bridges!

greg9504

I've owned a 2004 JCB 212s (currently 2019 models are marketed as JCB 3cx Compact) for 5 years. It's 12.6k lbs, 4wd, 4ws. All of them come plumbed front and rear, very easy to add a thumb to. Front quick connect hitch (not skid steer type though). 75hp. The 4 wheel steer makes it fairly maneuverable.

Compared to a Kubota l45 or M59 the JCB is much more of a backhoe.

Downsides - the 4 equal size tires make it a bit more likely to get stuck in mud. Parts - usually better to buy off internet if you can find the part than bother with dealer. BSP fittings for all the hydraulics. Just means you need to find the right hydraulic repair shop that stocks the fittings. Wiring - every single wire is yellow with a number in small print to identify it. I haven't really had any major wiring issues though. Interior is a bit cramped if you have to spend 8 hours a day in it.

In full size backhoes there isn't much under 15k lbs.

Full disclosure - I don't use my backhoe to earn a living, so take the above for what's worth...
jcb212sstumb.JPG jcb212sthumbtree.JPG jcb212sligtingcrate.jpg

Attachments

• 2002_JCB_212S_Specifications.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 3

fpgm04

Renohusker, your observation is correct that there is a significant weight difference between compact TLBs and industrial TLBs.

Compact equipment tends to be under 10k weight in order to allow people without CDL driver’s licenses to move the equipment in most states.

If you are trying to slide in under 15k on a typical industrial backhoe, you can’t look just at a Company’s model, as 15k is at the starting weight range. Most backhoes will then add optional equipment such as extendahoe/standard hoe options, cab and canopy variations, 4wd/2wd options, counterweights, wheel weights, and others. With options, it is very common to be several thousand pounds above 15k.

Not sure if you are looking new or used, but you might find a used Case 480E or F, that would be a better fit weight wise under 15k depending on options. Keep in mind there will be likely some trade off for less weight Example, If I recall, the backhoe dig depth on a 480 would be in the 12-14’ range depending on options, which would generally put it between compacts and larger industrial machines.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
While a Dually can tow that load and likely you will equip with Electric trailer brakes I can state it will not be a fun event getting a top heavy machine on the Goose and dragging down the highway at any form of leisurely speed. I have noted the issues with failures of this set up as a safety concern and should DOT get tired of it the ability to skirt a CDL to tow such a load may soon evaporate. Then you still will be using a Smallish machine expecting faster work and getting slower results. Biggest effect on a backhoe, not enough weight to get sufficient breakout force. To each his own I would be stepping up to heavy Class 6 or into a Class 7 truck with air brakes and same for trailer, then can purchase a Hoe to do the work effectively and heavier work can be attained faster.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Re-read the OP, if looking at a Compact Tractor with a Hoe, unless has a dedicated mount and only connects to three point will be a sloppy mess soon after some use, if is a dedicated mount most are second thought and severely reduced in capacity due to potential to damage small tractor frame mounting.

Tags

What about the Kubota M62? Seems like that is probably as heavy duty as you're going to get in a "compact" machine. People who have them and it's predecessor, the M59, seem to be really happy with em'

RenoHuskerDu

I've owned a 2004 JCB 212s (currently 2019 models are marketed as JCB 3cx Compact)
SNIP
Downsides - the 4 equal size tires make it a bit more likely to get stuck in mud.
SNIP

Thanks for that info, which was new to me. JCB sure makes a confusing lineup. The JCB 2CX weighs 14k, the 3CX ECO weighs 18k, and the 3CX Compact weighs 13k (figures from Ritchiespecs, which are often dubious). Looks like the equal size tires are history now. Who makes JCB? Well, they say they make as many backhoes as all other manufacturers combined. Boy do I feel like Mr Potato Head, I'd never heard of JCB. Just Case, Cat, Kub, JD.

Sez here https://tinyurl.com/y4wxzbcc that JCB has the same 60 month 0% financing that Kubota does. Hmmm. Do most of us out here think that JCB makes good backhoes?

Somebody mentioned CDL. I have it. Texas requires it if your CGVWR is over 26k. With a 21k trailer, my 350 dually will have a CGVWR of 36k. Pickups have crept up into truck capabilities.

AzIron

Somebody mentioned CDL. I have it. Texas requires it if your CGVWR is over 26k. With a 21k trailer, my 350 dually will have a CGVWR of 36k. Pickups have crept up into truck capabilities.

Pickups have crept up to a dangerous idea of a I think I am a truck. Not picking on your capabilities means or tools but they are not made to handle what they have been rated to pull but that's not the topic of this thread

Jcb is a British based company not to many people have any love for them here in the us one of the biggest reasons are lack of dealer network and support here I have been told in Britain jcb is 2 to 1 any other manufacturer. As far as world manufacturers they are number one I think deere is number 2 in the world game but nonetheless jcb is not that easy to find here but I can buy a new one cheaper by a fair bit than anything else and of the 2 I ran I didn't care for them they work just didn't feel like home to me

RenoHuskerDu

I've seen what's happening to the UK. They jailed that Robinson guy just for making criminals uncomfortable. I think he's a hero. We just fled France ourselves, sold our thriving business. Grim future for western Europe. The fabled German Engineering is doomed too. I'd be more confident purchasing a machine from an Asian country or the USA.

RenoHuskerDu

Regarding pickups, the US DOT and many state DMVs are taking note of their evolution to higher CGVWR and clamping down to require CDL etc. Here in TX you're starting to see DOT numbers on guys towing big boats to the lake for the weekend. Warning citations are rare.

Mother Deuce

My father used to move A Ford 4500 with a F 350 flatbed and tandem axle equipment trailer occasionally when the dump truck was busy, back in the days pre CDL. The backhoe was around 10,000 and the truck was probably the same with its fuel load and tools. the trailer was probably 3500. The truck pulled it painlessly aside from wiping a clutch or two. However getting the whole party stopped was another matter. Learn to drive way in front of your truck.

greg9504

Thanks for that info, which was new to me. JCB sure makes a confusing lineup. The JCB 2CX weighs 14k, the 3CX ECO weighs 18k, and the 3CX Compact weighs 13k (figures from Ritchiespecs, which are often dubious). Looks like the equal size tires are history now.

The 4 equal size tires are still there on the new 3Cx Compacts. The 3Cx compacts are basically the same machine as the older 2cx (which were actually marketed as 212s in North America) with updated hydraulics and electronics. The biggest change being you now have electronic joystick controls for the backhoe. Other than that mechanically the loader, hoe and frame are pretty much the same as the older machines. However I was wrong and it looks like now they use the skid steer quick attach for the loader.

https://www.jcb.com/en-us/products/backhoe-loaders/3cx-compact

Current Model - 3Cx Compact, old model - 212s (2Cx in Europe). They moved to 3Cx Compact name worldwide about 3 years ago to remove the confusion between 212s and 2Cx.

The other thing that is nice about the newer ones is that the 74hp engine has NO DPF.

There is no comparison to the JCB 2CX/3CX Compact and a compact tractor, the Kubota M62 maybe close in some specs but weighs about 4000 lbs less, has no cab, and the engine requires DPF. One the plus side for the Kubota are the rear PTO/3pt hitch and most likely better dealer support. But the rear PTO is only a plus if you have a use for it.

I've seen what's happening to the UK. They jailed that Robinson guy just for making criminals uncomfortable. I think he's a hero. We just fled France ourselves, sold our thriving business. Grim future for western Europe. The fabled German Engineering is doomed too. I'd be more confident purchasing a machine from an Asian country or the USA.

Huh? Interesting way to evaluate a backhoe...

Clawed Backster

The DMV can't regulate common sense.
If you are careful, you can safely tow a lot with a little.
Excessive regulations stem primarily from idiots who think they can just drive around like they are on a scenic drive in a car, when they are actually driving a rig with a combined weight of a half dozen cars.
And yes, I do know a little bit about the issue. I drive a 105,000 pound truck every day, and have for over 25 years.