1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Gone

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by cuttin edge, Aug 9, 2020.

1. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    Someone decided they needed our NewHolland LB95 backhoe more than us. Was parked on a job site. It was driven off site over night, and loaded on a float about a mile away.

2. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

That stinks. I mean really really stinks. I've been stolen from and I can still get really wound up about it if I think about it too much. I hope you get it back.

CM1995 and BigWrench55 like this.
  3. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

We've all been there if we've been around a while. I've had so much stolen from me I just get disgusted instead of mad now. Still stinks.

4. NH575E

NH575E Senior Member

Retired Machinist
    Hope they are caught and you recover your machine.

5. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    Insurance will cover the loss, but the machine was only assessed a 30 grand. It could never be replaced for that price. never liked the idea of one key fits all

6. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Think about using an equipment tracking system if you leave machines on a jobsite or remote locations. Keys to equipment are very widespread... (not telling you anything you didn't know) The prices have come down in the last few years. It's cheap insurance

7. Cbait580b

Cbait580b Well-Known Member

Not anywhere the extent of your loss but our stimulus check and another $100 went to replace a gen/welder unit a buddy loaned me to weld corner posts for the pasture. Now we have an automatic gate.. Dont know the code or I don't know u r coming you dont get on my property.
    Hoping thing work out decent for you.

8. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Shooting a thief dead immunity should be expanded under the Castle Doctrine to include any of one's possessions. I hate a damn thief.

9. aighead

aighead Senior Member

Booo!!!

I wanted to give your post a sympathy "Like" but I don't like the story!

10. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    A couple of years ago I testified in court about a 14H motor grader that had been stolen. Apparently the insurance agent hadn't bothered to get a serial number from the owner for a spread going out on a job. The job was in a remote location and all the equipment was parked over the weekend. Come Monday morning the grader was gone. The case was complicated by a lot of things but the upshot was that since there was no serial number on the contract and the owner never bothered to take a picture of the machine, the insurance company denied the claim. The insurance company turned the case over to their SIS, special investigative service, who then commenced to slander and character assassinate the owner and all of his employees. At any rate it was over two years, tons of legal wrangling, expert witnesses, attorneys, depositions and finally a week in court and the owner won his case.
    The moral to this story is that insurance is not insurance if you can't positively prove that the machine you own actually exists. Serial numbers, photographs and maybe a third party inventory might be the best insurance you can have.

DB2 and kshansen like this.
  11. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Agree there should be an option if saying nothing else "*&^$#@!" like in the comic-strips.

aighead likes this.
  12. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

GPS trackers hidden on a machine are getting popular. Several years ago a guy had his $80,000 welding rig stolen. Cops were able to track it to rural location and found another stolen welding truck along with multiple other stolen pieces. Nobody was around at the time they got there so they just waited inconspicuously for someone to show up. Most of the small hand tools were gone but he got the truck and welder back. You almost feel good when you hear stories of someone getting killed or seriously injured stealing a car or equipment. Now there's idiots stealing catalytic converters in broad daylight. A few years ago a farmer was charged when he chased down and shot someone stealing his truck and ATV. Too bad he didn't catch them on the farm. Then there might have just been a missing person report with no leads.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/farmer-to-serve-90-days-in-jail-for-shooting-thief-1.708634

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  13. Theweldor

Theweldor Senior Member

The Village Idiot
    It is a sad state of affairs when the criminals have more rights than the hard working people trying to pay for this stuff and make an honest living.

Mr580backhoe! and CM1995 like this.
  14. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    It's not that they have more rights. It's that some bleeding heart thinks that the crime of stealing is a lot less heinous than the crime of murder. I'm sure that if you stole it back from the thief, you would have the same rights and better treatment than them.

Reporter at the scene of a dead person interviewing a sheriff. Reporter, how did he die. Sheriff, well Jed over here caught him trying to steal something out of his pickup. Reporter, what did he try to steal? Sheriff, it doesn't matter. Reporter, that's the third thief Jed has caught this week. Sheriff, some people have all the luck.

Mr580backhoe! and showrguy like this.
  15. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Couldn’t agree more

mitch504 and CM1995 like this.