1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Give your opinion on this Dozer D8H

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by macecase, Dec 4, 2021.

?

What is the max you'd pay for this machine?

1. $10,000

33.3%
  2. $12.000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $15,000

33.3%
  4. $17,000

16.7%
  5. $20,000

16.7%
  6. $25,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. macecase

macecase Member

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...Caterpillar-D8H-Crawlers-Crawler_Dozer-Kansas

I need to build a 6-acre pond. I have an operator that will do the parts that require skill but I thought I'd buy the dozer and then resell it once the pond is done and a few other projects. So, I want to get in and get out... not own it for 10 years.

I'd be very interested in what more experienced eyes than mine see in this machine. Anything glaring or gaping that would cause it to not perform or be in need of a repair soon?

I talked with the owner and he said it is a good old dozer. Works as it should for what it is. He started rattling off what he had done to it over the years. He owned it for 10 years and said he put about 500 hours on it himself. Nothing was major and included things like a water pump but did replace rollers, etc.

Thank you in advance!

2. macecase

macecase Member

See auction for all of the images. But, here are a few.

Attached Files:

3. dozer777

dozer777 Active Member

operateur de bulldozer
    la traction est finis sur led8h les rouleaux vont vers les pads pas bon signe etc

macecase likes this.
  4. Dave Neubert

Dave Neubert Senior Member

Undercarrage looks a little weak about $ 50.000.00 to replace I have heard this story so many times I will buy it and sell when done then you have a major break down and you have a giant pile of scrap metal. I would just pay someone to build your pond especially since you have not been around heavy equipment

macecase, DMiller, Tinkerer and 4 others like this.
  5. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

I'll agree thats the best way to go. Like you said, a person can find themselves upside down with an old track of purchase real fast. I'm going through it right now with a couple

6. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

If you can't fix it yourself when it breaks down, don't touch it. Parts for these are expensive, heavy and require tools and knowledge. A 6 acre pond is a lot of dirt to move depending on the depth required and it will be all pushing it up a slope the deeper you go. Just fuel alone will be expensive. That machine will burn 12 to 18 gallons per hour. For a pond that size, in my opinion, find someone with a twin engine motorscraper and a small dozer to build it.

D6 Merv, Kyfarm, nicky 68a and 6 others like this.
  7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    As noted rail faces are slim to none left, rollers did not look so pretty and segments pointed like saw blades. Sure has grousers on shoes but that will not take care of the previous. Without seeing it up front and personal would have to drop a LIGHT bid to that knowing $25-40K If I did the UC myself. Chain Rails, All shoe bolts ALL Rollers Idlers and Segments, no idea of the leaks on this.

56wrench and Lumberjack Matt like this.
  8. macecase

macecase Member

I have to say that I appreciate your comments. I didn't hear anybody say it could be a good buy or a good way to go. So, looks like I should pass on this. Thank you!!

DMiller and nicky 68a like this.
  9. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

If it was a easy pond, you could use it for a day,have a good mechanic look it over, and buy it dirt cheap. I had a chance to buy a D7 for $3000.00 i need to clear some trees and i have worked on them alot but i thought there was a better way to get my job done. If i could have got the 7 for $2000.00 i could have scraped it but i would have had a hard time doing that.

DMiller likes this.