• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

getting started

lucasd97

I'm hoping you guys can help a feller out! I'm thinking on buying a log truck , like a f750 day cab ,short wheel base and putting a logging set up on the back , just some standards built on a flat bed. I'm wanting to haul logs for other people /companies. Just me and my truck . I'm located in southwest VIRGINIA and the eastern Kentucky side. Logging is booming down here right now . can anyone help me out an tell me if I'm going to make good money an have work. Theirs a lot of other truckers doing it just wandering if I can do it an make money. I'm 18 yrs old so any advice ?

hetkind

I would talk to the loggers and see if they need extra trucks and drivers first. I am in NE Tennessee and the loggers don't seem to be any busier than usual.

Howard

lucasd97

I would talk to the loggers and see if they need extra trucks and drivers first. I am in NE Tennessee and the loggers don't seem to be any busier than usual.

Howard
well Howard thanks for the advice and reply. And yes it seems to be picking up around here, at least I'm seeing a lot more of it than usual

Jonas302

Is that the kind of truck they run in your area? a 750 seems light won't get much of a load unless there is a niche market of hard to access wood?
the real buzzkill is getting commercial insurance at your age
Best of luck to you

lucasd97

Is that the kind of truck they run in your area? a 750 seems light won't get much of a load unless there is a niche market of hard to access wood?
the real buzzkill is getting commercial insurance at your age
Best of luck to you
Howard, well it seems their is a lot of log trucks in my area . lots of tractor and trailors and lots of tandems to. But their are a lot of small logging crews to, running a 2 or 3 man crew an just using a dozer and maybe another small piece of equipment or 2. So I see a lot of 750 sized trucks around ,really just hauling for anyone and everyone. I'm hoping to get started myself and a mid sized truck seems to be making the $ rightnow

old1

Occupation
Selfemplyed
I know what you are asking, and trying to do; but around here, that size of truck is usually used and owned by a 1 or 2 person family logging crew. They can keep costs down by doing small jobs, the bigger guys won't do.

Yes they make money; but they cut it really close. Usually using older equipment; and working for themselves.

There may be some hired trucks; but not many. These loggers usually, cut billets.

Now, there are hauling companies, in fact one just hauled out of our farm; but that hauler has a tri-axle w/loader. He hauls for about a dozen independent loggers. They call him and he picks up the load and hauls it to wherever the logger wants. That trucker does make good $$$$. Works about 12 hours a day when he has to; as there aren't always loads to get.

Good Luck, You have to start somewhere.

Last edited:

lucasd97

I know what you are asking, and trying to do; but around here, that size of truck is usually used and owned by a 1 or 2 person family logging crew. They can keep costs down by doing small jobs, the bigger guys won't do.

Yes they make money; but they cut it really close. Usually using older equipment; and working for themselves.

There may be some hired trucks; but not many. These loggers usually, cut billets.

Now, there are hauling companies, in fact one just hauled out of our farm; but that hauler has a tri-axle w/loader. He hauls for about a dozen independent loggers. They call him and he picks up the load and hauls it to wherever the logger wants. That trucker does make good $$$$. Works about 12 hours a day when he has to; as there aren't always loads to get.

Good Luck, You have to start somewhere.
Yes thank you so much for saying something positive and that's what I'm wanting to do , haul for a few independent loggers an get my name out their .hopefully I can make some money .

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Capture.PNG
My advise would be to get a real truck and go heavier. Think Kenworth, Peterbilt, Western, Mack, and along those lines. With a bigger truck you can always add a pup if the need is there. What you might save in weight, you will lose with repairs and running peddle to the metal with something too small.