• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Getting paid

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I wonder how hard it would be to get some kind of software. Maybe something HVAC people use because they run a lot of service calls with parts.

When you get a new customer or job the software will text or email them an estimate/approval and do not roll out until they have a card on file and maybe even preauthorized.

Old Doug

There is a service guy on YT, western truck and tractor, he mentioned his start with an F350 and how he started modestly and built up, had a few costly customers who refused to pay but learned and earned a solid customer base. He is a hard working MF
I wonder how many thought if i go out on my own it will be easier or i will make a lot more money day one?

tctractors

I am more than 45 years at working as a "Man with a Few Spanners" so here is a few tips to keeping your head held high, you might not know it but the Parts Man that you speak to at CAT, Volvo or whoever can be Golden, so always treat these people with total respect and thank them for anything they do for you, they know the bad payers its on their screen, even if they completely stuff up for you keep your bad mouth to yourself and still kiss their backside and things will get sorted a lot smoother, speak to all the other Mechanics in your area and be solid and helpful to them without blowing smoke out of your backside, to stay above water you need every help you can get this also extends to always telling the truth to everyone, its no good to say I will be there tomorrow when you know its fantasy, your word has to be your Bond always, forget all the crap about getting paid as you need to get off your backside and go and do the work and work hard at it and the coins will roll in, I am in a different bit of Mother Earth to you but if I pulled out a Card swipe to be paid my Customers would Bin me, you need to earn the Customers faith in your workmanship and respect for the way you go forward, once you have good Customers that pay their bills you are flying, the man that services my house boiler pulls out a Card Swipe, I see him 1 time a year and his Bill is just a few ££ and the phone book has plenty of choices, look in the phone book for someone to come and fix your Dump Truck or Dozer the list is very short, the answer to your getting paid thing is reflected by your ability to do the job chap.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I often throw the tool bag in the back of the half ton and do some easy calls. Yeah it gets the job done and keeps the customer happy but life is so much nicer when you have your full arsenal of tools and supplies with you.
Prime example:

Today I had to diagnose a hydraulic fault. Spent 15 minutes messing around with a little #6 line because my wrench wouldn't fit. Crowfoot or an offset open end wrench would have been perfect for the job but they were an hour away at the shop. Ended up having to screw around with pliers to get the fitting moved enough to grab with a wrench. Just silly little things like that will waste time but where do you draw the line on how much to bring on a call?

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
I am in a different bit of Mother Earth to you but if I pulled out a Card swipe to be paid my Customers would Bin me, you need to earn the Customers faith in your workmanship and respect for the way you go forward, once you have good Customers that pay their bills you are flying, the man that services my house boiler pulls out a Card Swipe, I see him 1 time a year and his Bill is just a few ££ and the phone book has plenty of choices, look in the phone book for someone to come and fix your Dump Truck or Dozer the list is very short, the answer to your getting paid thing is reflected by your ability to do the job chap.

I think the original poster wants to work on over the road trucks. On this side of the pond we have a lot of truck drivers who will break down and start calling every road side guy till one answers, once the guy gets out of bed at 2am and shows up they will try and negotiate down the bill before he even starts, threaten bad google reviews if he doesn't give them a deal, and refuse to pay once the truck is fixed. If you don't run a card before the truck moves you'll never get paid and never see the guy again. If he's working with local customers it's another story.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I agree on the throwing a few tools in being a bad idea most times. I have done that with just taking a pickup and a few tool so you save fuel but it often costs you more in lost time of not having that one special wrench.
I am bad for being late getting bills out but I only work for a the good customers that are ok with that and pay me anyway.